The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Teaching your horse how to bow (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/teaching-your-horse-how-bow-69722/)

Gus 11-03-2010 08:04 PM

Teaching your horse how to bow

So yesterday I got my horse to bow! He pretty much did it on his own. Now I want to finish teaching him any tips??????
Thanks for your time

NorthernMama 11-03-2010 08:54 PM

There are different methods of bow, therefore different ways of teaching it. I probably can't help you, but jic, we would need to know the end result you want (maybe find a picture on the 'net as a sample) and what initiated the bow today.

As an aside, please don't double post. Then we loose track of who is saying what.

Gus 11-03-2010 09:20 PM

well it would be hard to find a pix (partially cuz I dont know how to do that...it wouldn't let me ^^') and he was doin different bows one leg/knee on ground with head neatly tuckd in and other leg out then it was only half bows after that really....

momo3boys 11-04-2010 12:58 PM

Think Like a Horse-Rick Gore Horsemanship has a great video on getting a horse to bow with a carrot. It's under the rick gore videos

lilruffian 11-04-2010 01:24 PM

You can pass the leadrope between his front legs & pull his nose down & in using one hand while you hold up one of his front feet with the other hand. Once he's down, give him a treat & let him right back up. If he's smart he'll catch on quick.

Gus 11-04-2010 10:03 PM

well I just have to stick my hand under his chest, wiggle his chin and he follows me I just need to know how to keep him there and get him on his knee since he doesn't go all the way

Ladytrails 11-04-2010 10:21 PM

Stacy Westfall and Ken McNabb both have videos showing step by step how to teach the horse to bow. Stacy used the bow with her horse so that she could mount her bareback/bridleless reining horse from the ground! Stacy and Ken use different techniques but got similar results; Stacy had emphasis on having the horse stay in the bow until she gave the cue to get up, so that might help you.

Gus 11-04-2010 11:28 PM

hmmm cool thank you Ladytrails I will check them out ^^

dreamalittledream 11-04-2010 11:45 PM

search 'how to teach your horse how to bow' on youtube, it helps!