The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Martingale stoppers don't match bridle? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/martingale-stoppers-dont-match-bridle-69729/)

luck 11-03-2010 09:03 PM

Martingale stoppers don't match bridle?

So my friend went to the tack store today and picked me up some martingale stoppers. Only problem is they are light brown and my bridle is dark brown. Thoughts? Do you think this is tacky and looks bad? I cant take them back because the tack store she got them from is over an hour drive away. Or any suggestions to make them darker brown? Could I colour them with sharpie? lol Thanks!

dressagebelle 11-04-2010 12:37 AM

You could use dye and make them darker. I wouldn't use a sharpie, but if you have a leather repair man in town, I'd ask him what type of dye to use, and you can probably get a color really close to yours. I had a black bridle that got scuffed up on the brow band, and I was considering redying it, but sold it to an instructor who needed it for her school horse, so I didn't do a whole lot of research.

Amir 11-04-2010 02:21 AM

You can use a shoe polish to match the colours. You'll just have to go over it every few weeks to keep it nice.
I've dyed brown boots black like this and the dye just came off the boots after a lot of wear.
Since you want lighter to darker then it should work.

smrobs 11-04-2010 02:47 AM

If they are leather, you might try oiling them. Some oils out there will significantly darken light colored leather.

Saskia 11-04-2010 03:29 AM

Buy darker ones. If you are not competing it doesn't matter what colours they are.

IMO martingales are tacky, regardless of their colour. Unless its a "horse-sport" required thing, as soon as I see a rider with one it immediately turns me off the horse/rider. It might be judgmental but I just see so many of them used, forcing a horses head down and confusing signals. Pretty much all the horses without one go much, much better.

IMO slightly wrong coloured stoppers aren't really a worry.