The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Pmu? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/pmu-69791/)

wannahorse22 11-04-2010 05:58 PM

Pmu?

Out of all the horse information I have learned in the last past 4 yrs., I still have no idea what a PMU horse is. Can somebody explain?

GreyRay 11-04-2010 06:02 PM

pregnant mare urine, they use it to make
meds for woman.
Posted via Mobile Device

wannahorse22 11-04-2010 06:29 PM

Oh,thats interesting. So are PMU horses used specifically for that, or can they do other things?

GreyRay 11-04-2010 06:34 PM

They are used specifically for pmu. They are kept in stalls and kept pregnant until they are to old. And the foals are sold at auction to whoever. We all know how that goes...
Posted via Mobile Device

ponyboy 11-04-2010 07:18 PM

PMU is not a breed if that's what you mean Wanna.

CinderEve 11-04-2010 07:23 PM

Yeah, it's not a breed. They are normally quarter horses and draft breeds. It's just a label. A ton of PMU ranches were shut down, I don't know how many (if any) are still operating. It's a pretty horrendous situation for a medication that they make synthetically now. That's as tree huggin'-bunny lovin' as I get though lol.

PaintHorseMares 11-04-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyRay (Post 805541)
pregnant mare urine, they use it to make
meds for woman.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hormones for post/menopausal women...if you know someone who takes Premarin (brand name), that's where it comes from.

Eastowest 11-04-2010 07:50 PM

>>>>They are used specifically for pmu. They are kept in stalls and kept pregnant until they are to old. And the foals are sold at auction to whoever. We all know how that goes...

PMU farms have become more scarce in the last few years as demand for Premarin products has diminished.

There are strict regulations about mare confinement, turnout, foaling, weaning age and procedures, and etc., and farms are inspected regularly for compliance.Mares and new foals are usually pasture kept through the summer, and after the foals are weaned the mares are put "on the line" approximately 150 days each year, from Dec-April.

Many farms now use registered stock and try to produce foals which sell privately or at higher-end sales rather then en masse at low end auctions-- there are also futurity programs that have been created for stock from enrolled farms, so horses from PMU farms can go on and compete to earn money and prizes. The main one is NEARIC-- NAERIC - North American Equine Ranching Council Foals PMU Foals Ranching America Ranchers and Canada Ranch Premarin

I am not saying there aren't bad PMU farms-- but there are also bad race horse farms, bad dressage barns, bad lesson barns, bad show barns, and etc.... the life of a PMU mare might not be 100% ideal, but standing/laying in a warm barn eating all winter with turnout all summer and mandatory regulated vet and farrier care is not the worst life ever either.

Here are some links to PMU ranches that breed higher quality, registered horses.

Kevin & Julie Bridgeman
Bar RB Belgians - Home Page
D5 PERFORMANCE HORSES

Here are more PMU farms to peruse from ther NAERIC site--
NAERIC - North American Equine Ranching Council Foals PMU Foals Ranching America Ranchers and Canada Ranch Premarin

wannahorse22 11-04-2010 07:57 PM

Thanks for the great information everybody!

Oxer 11-05-2010 12:14 AM

i work in pharmaceuticals. most of it is simply education. when you tell a woman that she is taking medication that was made from the urine of a pregnant mare... that alone is enough for them to research alternative methods of hormone replacement! there's not too many women that say: "i don't care... i like my horse pee pills and i don't want to change to anything that is, not only better for me, but more humane for an innocent animal!"