The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   New Sewing Project: Saddle Pad (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/new-sewing-project-saddle-pad-69799/)

PaulyPalomino 11-04-2010 07:03 PM

New Sewing Project: Saddle Pad

Well, I had so much fun sewing that turnout blanket for my pony that i can't stop there!!!:lol: I am now going to fix her saddle pad. It is a full size weaver thick pad that just looks rediculous on her and i need to make it smaller. Sooooo, I am going to attempt to cut it down in size and make a removable cover for it!!! I am too cheap to go buy a new one when this is almost brand new. I am going to put a zipper in the front so i can take it off to wash it!!! I have never sewn a zipper onto anything before, i hope it turns out!!!:? I found the cutest pink bandana type material for this project. I will post a pic of the material and the pad as soon as they come out of the wash...lol! I am also going to try to get some pink (same shade as the material) leather ties to switch out the ones on her bridle so they match the pad. Sounds silly im sure that a grown woman is infatuated with the color pink:oops:, but I am!!! lol Will get started on this tommorrow and will probably get it done in one day! stay tuned!!! lol

Reiterin 11-04-2010 07:35 PM

Have you thought about having it be a velcro closure?
I hate sewing zippers in.. good luck! =)

PaulyPalomino 11-04-2010 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a pic of the material i picked out!!!

PaulyPalomino 11-04-2010 08:27 PM

Velcro would have been a good idea also...i already bought the zipper though. Velcro might collect hair over time and not close after a while. Good idea....if i cant make the zipper work i might do the velcro!!!!

CharliGirl 11-04-2010 11:59 PM

That is a great idea--you could even make several covers (if you were feeling ambitious) so you can keep the pad clean and change the look.

I'm looking forward to seeing the end result!

Reiterin 11-05-2010 10:26 PM

I have a (western) saddle pad that has a removable cover and has a heavy-duty velcro to keep it closed. It works really well, but I might not use it as hard or as often as you might. (I mostly only use it for occasional trail rides and light riding around in the arena.)

I love the material you've chosen!!

PaulyPalomino 11-06-2010 11:44 AM

I got the saddle pad cut down to the size i want and discovered that the fabric i bought shrunk after i washed it ( i knew this would happen). It was too small to fit the pad so i decided i would make an insert so i would have enough material. I have no pattern to use for this project....just winging it!!!! I hope i can make it work!!!:oops:

Hubbardshorses 11-06-2010 12:32 PM

I love the fabric you picked out as well. Good luck hope it turns out well for you. When it is finished post a picture if you can. :D

PaulyPalomino 11-08-2010 01:06 PM

5 Attachment(s)
FINISHED!!!! It turned out pretty good....i think! The insert side goes down so it cant be seen!!! Tell me what you think!

Before + After ....Picture it on the palomino!!!

riccil0ve 11-08-2010 01:16 PM

You put the zipper part on the horse side of the pad? o_O