The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Older horse that's never worn a blanket? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/older-horse-thats-never-worn-blanket-6981/)

JustDressageIt 03-15-2008 06:33 PM

Older horse that's never worn a blanket?

I've always blanketed my horses, but I don't think Maia has ever had one on... I just feel bad for her standing in her paddock without one on gross cold snowy days like these.
She's 8... will I have any problems introducing her to blanketing? Is it even a good idea?

Abby 03-15-2008 07:46 PM

My 8 year old had never had a blanket on before I got him, and he did fine with it, he tried to rub it off for a while but then got used to it. He was scared of it at first but after a few minutes of sacking him out with it he was okay with it on.

upnover 03-15-2008 09:03 PM

My 7 year old had never had a blanket on (or even walked into a barn) when I got him. He was a little concerned/curious when I walked up to him with it but once it was on he didn't react at all. Then again, he doesn't react to much. :D I think he likes it now though!

appylover31803 03-16-2008 12:07 AM

I doubt Gem ever had a blanket on before we got him, and he does fine with one. He doesn't really like that over your head, but he bears with it.

Not to mention a blanketed horse is so much easier to clean than a non blanketed one :wink: especially if they're white and LOVE to roll in the mud

JustDressageIt 03-16-2008 12:37 AM

ahh I feel so bad right now... it's snowing really heavily out (the heavy wet sticky stuff) and I can just imagine the horses are cold... I would feel so much better if Maia had a blanket on :( I fed the two of them a whole bale of hay today (half a bale each, or thereabouts) but still...
What are your opinions on different weights of blankets? Will a lighter blanket be okay in colder weather, or will it do more harm than good? I will eventually get a winter weight and a summer weight, but it's so close to summer right now that I don't exactly want to go out and buy a $200 blanket to use for 3 weeks then have to store for 5 months...!

Abby 03-16-2008 12:40 AM

I say shell out 60 bucks and buy a rip-stop medium weight blanket. They're cheap, and do the job well. People are having lots of end-of-winter sales. you're sure to find a deal.

appylover31803 03-16-2008 12:41 AM

Vega and Gem i would say have like a medium or heavyweight blanket. Not sure what it is, but they've worn it when its been extremely cold and snowy to even like 50F and they've been fine. I guess maybe get like a waterproof medium weight blanket. And you could use it on the cooler nights in the spring, and then in the fall when it starts to get a little nippy.

Hope i helped a bit

mayfieldk 03-16-2008 01:30 AM

Blankets are tricky, because most horses don't need one. They are happier in colder weather, and their hair does a better job of keeping them warm then most blankets.
Consider this: The weather gets REALLY cold, and you bought a lightweight or medium blanket because you want to help your horse out 'just a little' and it makes you feel better. She has a good coat, so she doesn't need a heavy weight, right? Your horse keeps it's body warm by trapping heat between it's body and it's hair--that's why they look extra fuzzy on cold days. Their ability to stay warm depends on how much of their coat can fuzz out, pretty much. When it gets seriously cold and you have a lightweight or medium weight blanket on your horse, the only thing you accomplish is to make your horse cold. Lighter blankets in cold weather do not help; they push the horse's coat down so that the horse cannot insulate himself. And relying on a lightweight blanket in freezing cold weather does them no good!
Lightweight and mediumweight blankets are good for mild weather on a show horse with a light coat or one that is clipped. If you are thinking of getting your horse a coat to minimize her own fluffyness, or to make grooming easier, you should get a heavyweight--amigo heavyweights run cheaper then most, and they are still a top-notch blanket. If you are thinking about getting your horse a blanket because you 'feel bad', there's nothing to worry about as long as she has somewhere to get out of the wind. Horses are happy without one, and safer (nothing to catch on them) too!
Hope this helped. Good luck!

JustDressageIt 03-16-2008 01:38 AM

Thank you, mayfieldk! I've always blanketed my horses, and I hate thinking that she might be cold. I'm looking into this blanket:
http://www.horseloverz.com/McAlister...pr-257885.html
But again, I'm not sure if she's ever had a blanket on, and it's been colder this winter than right now, and obviously she's survived...
I just "feel bad" because I know on cold crappy days I like to be wrapped in a blanket, even if I'm inside... haha.. I know I don't have hair like a horse at all, and I sound like such a newbie owner, but... :P I just want the best for her!!

mayfieldk 03-16-2008 01:49 AM

Haha! It's never a bad thing to want the best for your horse. :D
That blanket looks alright... the price makes me wary (I'm a believer in you get what you pay for) but it's 1200 Denier, so it shouldn't rip on you (don't look at anything under 1000, lol or they'll EAT IT.). I'm a girl who likes brands (amigo, wooo hehe) BUT, there are some quality items that are no-namers, and that doesn't look like a bad buy at all. AND it's a heavyweight :D
Good luck!