The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Arena Dust (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/arena-dust-69838/)

HappyHorsey 11-05-2010 11:19 AM

Arena Dust

The arena dust is getting rediculous where I board at. The barn manager acts like it is no big deal. When 2 or more people ride at a time, the vision becomes so bad that you can't see the other side of the arena, and it's not that big of an arena. I'm sure this dust is not good for the horse and rider's health either.

Can anyone please tell me what are some very cheap ways to take care of this problem and also where to buy the product?

I am so over it that I'm about to go buy the stuff and fix the problem myself. I would rather fix the problem than move three horses to a new facility. Their feeding and care, other than the arena dust problem, is great.

morganslittleleo 11-05-2010 11:27 AM

The best and easiest and slso cheapest way to take care of the dust is before you ride sprinkle the arena with water dont make mud but dampen it enough to hold the dust down this is what we do to the arenas before we have a rodeo

~*~anebel~*~ 11-05-2010 03:16 PM

Yep, water it. This is time consuming though and some places don't like all their water getting used up watering the arena SO...

Calcium chloride!! Liquid Calcium Chloride - CaCl2 Liquid

It is not cheap, you need a tractor and harrows and some other equipment to put it in, but it works! Don't ever, ever get the arena soaking wet though because it will stay as mud for weeks.

Basically once you put this stuff in the arena and lightly water, the CaCl will keep the water in the footing. This means you don't have to water nearly as often (lightly used arenas can water as little as 1 to 2 times a month). However, it can be detrimental to hooves. I always make sure I put hoof heal on the horses before and after I ride them in a CaCl arena.

Good luck!

cowboylife 02-09-2011 11:17 AM

Hi there...

I have heard that calcium or magnesium chloride work well, but it is very expensive so we went a different way.

We've been using ArenaClear on our 1 indoor and 2 outdoor arenas - from this company: Horse Arena Dust Control

We've used it for about a year and its works great... no more dust! We still have to water, but not nearly as much as before. The cost was about $300 for the year. They said we would only need half the amount for each year from now on, I guess we'll see.

mls 02-09-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboylife (Post 922398)
Hi there...

I have heard that calcium or magnesium chloride work well, but it is very expensive so we went a different way.

We've been using ArenaClear on our 1 indoor and 2 outdoor arenas - from this company: Horse Arena Dust Control

We've used it for about a year and its works great... no more dust! We still have to water, but not nearly as much as before. The cost was about $300 for the year. They said we would only need half the amount for each year from now on, I guess we'll see.

Low odor? Which means it has been complained about. No thank you.

We've used calcium chloride for many years. Works wonderfully and is not expensive.

cowboylife 06-28-2011 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 922404)
Low odor? Which means it has been complained about. No thank you.

We've used calcium chloride for many years. Works wonderfully and is not expensive.

There really isn't any odor to it... haven't had any complaints at all. Anyhow, I know calcium chloride works well too as I know others who use it. We just found this to be a better option.

Cherie 06-28-2011 07:13 PM

Calcium Chloride is a salt and draws moisture out of thhe air. This is why it works. It also draws moisture out of horses' hooves. It can be really hard on them. Isn't great for hair coats and equipment either.

We use old used motor oil (usually free) on outdoor arenas. Lasts a long time and is very effective but it does smell when you first do it.

I would hesitate to do an entire indoor arena, but I know people that have used it along the rail and it was very effective and tollerable.

cowboylife 06-30-2011 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 1079949)
Calcium Chloride is a salt and draws moisture out of thhe air. This is why it works. It also draws moisture out of horses' hooves. It can be really hard on them. Isn't great for hair coats and equipment either.

We use old used motor oil (usually free) on outdoor arenas. Lasts a long time and is very effective but it does smell when you first do it.

I would hesitate to do an entire indoor arena, but I know people that have used it along the rail and it was very effective and tollerable.

Oil based products do work well apart from the smell and you can't use it in arenas with rubber footing.