The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Stallions in the show ring? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/stallions-show-ring-69865/)

JumperDak15 11-05-2010 04:39 PM

Stallions in the show ring?

What's your opinion on Stallions in the show ring? (ie: trail, vwestern pleasure, english flat classes, halter, hunter/jumpers...etc)

Thanks. :) :-)

Plains Drifter 11-05-2010 04:45 PM

I had a friend that often showed his stallion in our WP class. He would use vick's vapor rub on his nose. The stallion was always well mannered and a pleasure to be around.

JumperDak15 11-05-2010 04:49 PM

That is very interesting about the vick's vapor rub!! I should try that next year :) Thanks that's really neat!

BigGreyHorse 11-05-2010 04:57 PM

I was around one stallion years ago that was first or champion every time he was in the ring with one particular rider and a dangerous train wreck (that usually got the gate) with another rider. I realize that there are exceptions and this is a very general answer. However, I think it's more about who is at the wheel than what they are driving.

churumbeque 11-05-2010 05:11 PM

I have never had a problem showing or riding my stallion with mares. He was typically the most well mannered of the horses. I rode in drill team and after I few weeks I was asked when I was going to ride my stallion. I had been riding him every time.

smrobs 11-05-2010 05:20 PM

I see absolutely no problem with it so long as the stud has received good training and has someone capable riding him.

ImagineThat 11-05-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 806573)
I see absolutely no problem with it so long as the stud has received good training and has someone capable riding him.

This.......

How else does a stallion get "proven"? What do you mean, opinion on stallions in the show ring?

JumperDak15 11-05-2010 05:57 PM

ImagineThat, Well I plan on showing my young stud next year. And I was just curious about peoples opinons about stallions showing with geldings and mares. I know they have certain classes strickly for studs, like halter.

I personally don't think I'll have a problem with my boy; but you never know. I just like to see others opinons about studs that's all. :)

thanks for everyons opinons, I really want to try the vapor rub on his nose when I start showing. That's super interesting!

ImagineThat 11-05-2010 06:10 PM

Oh.. ok. My trainer did the Vick's thing with his old jumper. I can help in covering the smell of mares. I think as long as you know 150% that you have control of your horse, you will be fine.
I had a QH stallion that I took to shows and trail rides... he had the best manners of any of my horses period. If he didn't, he wouldn't have stayed a stallion :) Everyone assumed he was a gelding LOL

Appyfreak 11-05-2010 06:15 PM

A well behaved/trained stallion is no different than any other horse showing. I have seen many mares act worse. Backing up, peeing, ect.

If a stud is NOT behaved, it needs more training, or its balls hacked off if thats just the horses disposition.