The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horse killed in SLC Utah (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horse-killed-slc-utah-69931/)

wyominggrandma 11-06-2010 11:29 AM

Horse killed in SLC Utah

I have been reading each day aboiut the loss of the horses in Oklahoma and felt such sadness for the owners of the horses.
I just read a newspaper story from SLC,Utah that a horse was shot and butchered this week right in someones pasture. They say the horse had one gunshot, but did not die easily and most likely suffered. The horse was butchered and then those parts likely sold on the black market for horse meat. There is an $8000 reward posted for any information on the killer/killers.
I don't live in Utah, but that is only a few hours from me. I had no idea that there was a black market for horse meat, but I guess it really doesn't surprise me, if there is money to be made on something , somebody will figure out a way to do it.
We moved our horses back home for winter feeding last week, after reading this, I am really glad we have them in the backyard.

corinowalk 11-06-2010 12:11 PM

It is so sad that people do these kinds of things.

We had a band of teenagers that were killing Llamas for fun. When they caught the kids and asked them why they were doing it...they said they wanted to kill an animal and a Llama seemed like it would be fun. I wonder if they would feel the same if it was their family dog.

Just a few days ago my friend had her dog taken from her front yard, they drove the dog 5 miles down the road and let it out into traffic. Luckily the dog wasn't hit but surely is shaken up.

I never understand why people do this to animals and other people.

Katesrider011 11-06-2010 12:34 PM

Aww that horrible :( Sick people out there...

And Yeah I know it's surprising, but there's a black market for everything, where there's a will there's a way...

kitten_Val 11-06-2010 12:35 PM

We had it just happened here in MD passed weekend (5 miles down the road from me). There is a thread in "Horse Protection" section. The whole local community goes crazy about what happened...

Katesrider011 11-06-2010 12:37 PM

I'd get just a bit Paranoid if that happened near me...

ShinaKonga 11-07-2010 02:08 PM

I live nearby where the incident happened. It shook me up for sure. I hope they catch this freak before any other animal suffers the same fate.

kevinshorses 11-07-2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katesrider011 (Post 807211)
Aww that horrible :( Sick people out there...

And Yeah I know it's surprising, but there's a black market for everything, where there's a will there's a way...

There isn't a black market for things that you can buy legally and cheaply. If the people could go to a meat shop and buy horse meat I doubt they would have resorted to something like this. Of course they could have bought a horse for $50 and saved themselves the trouble of breaking the law.

Katesrider011 11-07-2010 05:17 PM

If they so desperately need horse meat that they have to kill someone else's loved horse then they seriously have problems. They might have resorted to this because America doesn't sell horse meat, but they need to get over it. And yeah I agree just buy a cheap nappy horse to eat or sell or whatever if they so desperately want a horse to kill and sell or whatnot.

kmacdougall 11-07-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corinowalk (Post 807199)
Just a few days ago my friend had her dog taken from her front yard, they drove the dog 5 miles down the road and let it out into traffic. Luckily the dog wasn\'t hit but surely is shaken up.

I wish they made a face thing for how I feel about this. WHY? Why?! What is wrong with the minds of these people?

I wish everyone could be raised with a little respect for the life of creatures, human or animal. Senseless.

kitten_Val 11-07-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 808249)
Of course they could have bought a horse for $50 and saved themselves the trouble of breaking the law.

Exactly. I know it sounds horrid for many people, but I'd rather see it this way rather than killing someone's much loved animal. :twisted: