The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Swollen Pasterns (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/swollen-pasterns-69936/)

Uma 11-06-2010 12:44 PM

Swollen Pasterns

I went out last night and and my 10 year old thoroughbred had swollen pasterns. Mostly on his front left but all four were warm. They just felt thick. We checked for lameness and he showed no signs whatsoever. And he didn't show any signs of pain. He was acting completely normal as well.
I rode him very lightly with long walks and short trot laps. By the time we were done the swelling had gone down some, but was still there.

I talked to some friends at the barn and they said that the same thing was going on with their horses. And that they had heard that it was due to the "new" hay.
The horses have round bales out in the pastures but recently got new bales (not new hay but a new bale) after 2 days without having hay in the pastures.

What are your thoughts? What could be causing the swelling?

smrobs 11-06-2010 03:53 PM

It is possible that he is stocking up. That is basically a fluid retention from lack of motion. It is pretty common in horses that are stalled or horses that choose not to move much around the pasture.

Uma 11-07-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 807351)
It is possible that he is stocking up. That is basically a fluid retention from lack of motion. It is pretty common in horses that are stalled or horses that choose not to move much around the pasture.

He is not stocking up because this has never happened before and he is in the pasture all day and night. And I have seen him running and moving around constantly in the pasture.

morganslittleleo 11-07-2010 11:41 PM

This just happnt to my horse and the vet says its a soft tissue injury and he was not lame or anything his leg just felt warm and not normal no pain moving good so i was worried and took him to the vet and now hes on stall rest untill jan

Uma 11-09-2010 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganslittleleo (Post 808739)
This just happnt to my horse and the vet says its a soft tissue injury and he was not lame or anything his leg just felt warm and not normal no pain moving good so i was worried and took him to the vet and now hes on stall rest untill jan

But the fact that other horses have it made me wonder....

Right now he is out in the pasture and we are watching to see if it gets worse or better.

Alwaysbehind 11-09-2010 09:22 AM

I wonder more about the heat with the swelling than the swelling.

Were his feet warm too?

mls 11-09-2010 09:45 AM

Check the hay for hoary allyssum.

Hoary Alyssum: Toxicity to Horses, Forage Quality, and Control