The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Mounting the horse from the ground !! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/mounting-horse-ground-69943/)

Katie x 11-06-2010 03:16 PM

Mounting the horse from the ground !!

I know People that can just leap up onto the horse from a stand still, some of them even 5'6 and the horse being 16.2-17.2. I would love to learn...can anyone on here mount this way ? If so, how did u learn? Any tips ?? :) all advice apppreciated xxx

MN Tigerstripes 11-06-2010 04:00 PM

Just swing your butt up. :lol:

I'm not great at it, but I can get on bareback from the ground. I just don't look that great doing it!

Here's what I do. Stand facing your horse's butt a little in front of their shoulder. Put your left hand on their mane. Take a big step with your left foot, push off the ground when you step down (so you're hopping/jumping), and swing your right leg and arm over. I usually make it about 3/4s of the way and have to wiggle a little to get all the way up. :D

Katie x 11-06-2010 04:32 PM

Haha, thankyou:) Ill give it a try:) Any other suggestions ppl ?:wink:

drafts4ever 11-06-2010 05:01 PM

My boyfriend can do it onto Caleigh and my student Kaity can do it on Caleigh and Sammy. That's 17.3 and 18.3

I haven't been able to do it but I'm not great and jumping anyways. They use their left hand on the mane and swing up, hook with their foot and pull themselves the rest of the way on.

faye 11-06-2010 05:14 PM

I can get on a 14hh pony bareback at a gallop but much bigger and I'm stuffed. I can get on a 17hh horse from the ground if I let the stirrup right the way down.

ngtwondrer 11-06-2010 05:15 PM

i'm starting to get too old to even try. i have a 14 hand horse and i mount pretty easy with a saddle but i use a block for bareback anymore.

NorthernMama 11-06-2010 06:05 PM

I can't do the "swing the leg up and over" thing, but I can stand at the horse's side and jump up so my stomach is on her back and then swing my leg over. One horse is 15.3 and the other is 17.3 -- that one is tough! I always wanted to do it the other way, but not enough to get around to actually practicing and doing it.

paintluver 11-06-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN Tigerstripes (Post 807356)
Just swing your butt up. :lol:

I'm not great at it, but I can get on bareback from the ground. I just don't look that great doing it!

Here's what I do. Stand facing your horse's butt a little in front of their shoulder. Put your left hand on their mane. Take a big step with your left foot, push off the ground when you step down (so you're hopping/jumping), and swing your right leg and arm over. I usually make it about 3/4s of the way and have to wiggle a little to get all the way up. :D

^^Same way I do it, wiggle and all lol
But on my sister's 13.3 hand pony I just put my hands on his back and jump up.

haleylvsshammy 11-06-2010 11:08 PM

I can get on with a saddle from the ground onto my 17.2hh horse. I'm 5'7", but I do it by stretching my leg to get into that stirrup, grabbing mane and pulling myself up using his neck, not the saddle (but NOT yanking on him). Bareback... I can't get on him yet... but it is a goal. I can only get on about 15.2hh bareback. I do what everyone else does- jump up and then wiggle until your leg can swing over!

kmdstar 11-06-2010 11:11 PM

Honestly I think everyone should use a mounting block, it is not good for any horses back to be putting the strain of trying to climb on or leaping on and landing hard on your horses back. It took some research by my own awful way of mounting from the ground to realize this. I can't mount from the ground to save my life :lol: I've been told the only people that can properly mount from the ground are those who can do it and get in the saddle without it being girthed up and not moving.