The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Would this make you mad? Or is it no big deal? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/would-make-you-mad-no-big-69946/)

SidMit 11-06-2010 04:16 PM

Would this make you mad? Or is it no big deal?

Ok, so when I moved my horse into the place i have her at the BO barely had anyone boarding there. She was very nice and the barn is very nice. I had gotten used to pretty much having the place to myself. I did know she was trying to get boarders because that is what a boarding stable is for. lol. Anyway, a jumping instructor moved in and is there from 1-5 every day. He said he encourages other riders to ride while he is teaching and he seems like a nice guy. Now here is the thing. Jumps are in the arena 24/7. At least two of them. Right smack dab in the middle. I think it is kind of rude to leave them up. Their are other riders there not in his program so it is not just me. I know at least one of the other riders agrees with me. So am I wrong to think they should be moved? I have another option to move to down the road, but moving is such a pain!

mbender 11-06-2010 04:43 PM

Can't you ask nicely if the instructor could move them after lessons?
Posted via Mobile Device

SidMit 11-06-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbender (Post 807387)
Can't you ask nicely if the instructor could move them after lessons?
Posted via Mobile Device

I did. I was told, "well he uses them every time." I have been at many large barns before and the jumps have always been moved. Usually it was part of the lesson.

ngtwondrer 11-06-2010 04:46 PM

I would talk to the barn owner directly and mention the problem. I think it would be an easy barn rule that everyone clear the arena when they are finished with using it. I would also discuss lesson times so that there are convenient open times that the other boarders can have the arena without lessons going on. my old stables allowed boarders to ride with the lessons but that got a little old after a while.

Spastic_Dove 11-06-2010 04:49 PM

We always have jumps set up in at least one of our arenas. Sometimes both. It's just too much hassle to set up and tear down an entire course everytime. One or two jumps wouldnt bother me at all.

SidMit 11-06-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngtwondrer (Post 807391)
I would talk to the barn owner directly and mention the problem. I think it would be an easy barn rule that everyone clear the arena when they are finished with using it. I would also discuss lesson times so that there are convenient open times that the other boarders can have the arena without lessons going on. my old stables allowed boarders to ride with the lessons but that got a little old after a while.

Well, I think she really likes the income he is bringing in. When he moved in the BO told me he taught every day from 1-4. So I would show up at 4:30 or 5 and he would still be there. So I have started going in the mornings when I can. I asked the BO about the jumps and she said, "I will see what we can do. He uses them every day." So I am thinking she pretty much gave him the arena. Also since he has moved in my horse has been moved to two different stalls.

mbender 11-06-2010 05:00 PM

Honestly if you are paying for board and use of the property you and the other riders should be able to use it. If the BO is not willing to get that handled and she keeps moving your horse around I would think of moving on. See how much money she'll make after boarders move out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Beau Baby 11-06-2010 09:49 PM

The continuous horse moving around would both me but to be honest. The arena issue isn't a big deal. How big is the arena? Is there room to do all your manouvers even with the jumps in the center of the ring? Any facility you look at will have jumps up pretty much all the time, its just to difficult to put them up and take them down every single day. Just ride around them, its not that hard, I do it everyday when I ride in the outdoor.

kmdstar 11-06-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beau Baby (Post 807604)
Just ride around them, its not that hard, I do it everyday when I ride in the outdoor.

Coming from a barrel racer, riding around them isn't an option. I would always get p*ssed when I had to move some lazy persons jumps just so I could barrel race - note that I ALWAYS put the barrels back, even if it was 'a pain'.

I would talk to the BO about it and if they don't make them put them away, even if they AREN'T in your way, take them down all the time and put them away all the time so at least they have to work to set them back up. I hate to sound spiteful but lazy people make me angry! If they could set up the jumps, and use them, they have no reason why they couldn't put them back other than pure laziness.

AnitaAnne 11-06-2010 11:49 PM

How about a compromise? Maybe the jump standards could be left in place & the poles moved to the outside.

You do not say what type of riding you do, or how big the arena is, so it is hard to judge if this is too much of a problem to ride around.

Also, is there anywhere else on the property to ride? Maybe by varying where you ride it would not be such an issue.

i leave my two jumps & 6 cavaletti up all the time. They are so heavy to move, I would personnally feel like someone was being unreasonable to make me move them everyday. I have no problem riding around them when not jumping...