The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Chestnut or something else? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/chestnut-something-else-69952/)

damnedEvans 11-06-2010 04:57 PM

Chestnut or something else?

8 Attachment(s)
Hello... I'm curious about this for a very long time. Can a horse be chestnut if he has so many white hairs in his coat and mane?

The horse is about 10 - 12 years old so he's not too old. But he has a very strange mane with a lot of white hairs. The coat has a lot of white hairs too and they are placed all over his body.

And now I see an white spot on his back and I don't think that it's something made because of an ill fitted saddle.

Here you can see the strange spot
Attachment 45567

Attachment 45561

white hairs all over his body
Attachment 45565

Attachment 45566

Attachment 45562

Attachment 45563

His mane
Attachment 45564

the whole horse :-P
Attachment 45568

mbender 11-06-2010 05:03 PM

My chestnut mare has them too. The spot could be an old saddle sore.
Posted via Mobile Device

Zeke 11-06-2010 05:06 PM

I would definitely say he's a chestnut, and a sweet looking one at that!
Posted via Mobile Device

damnedEvans 11-06-2010 05:22 PM

thank you ... I was asking because it seems that not all chestnut horses have so many white hairs. But I will look closer at them to see for sure. Maybe he's just a special chestnut :lol:

Perfection 11-06-2010 05:37 PM

The white hair might be from an injury like saddle sore or from a scar, it's definitely a chestnut. ;)

MacabreMikolaj 11-06-2010 05:47 PM

It's not a question of if he's chestnut or not, he definitely is, but the white hairs can be an indication of rabicano. My Arab mare has the exact same flecks all over, as well as several white hairs in her tailhead which is the number one characteristic of rabicano. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find a definitive answer on if chestnut's can have so many white hairs without being rabicano. I don't think enough research has been done to say for sure if white hairs are only present for rabicano or not.

He's definitely chestnut though.

Cheshire 11-06-2010 05:55 PM

My chestnut mare has the white hairs all over, especially thick on her front legs...it almost looks as if she is trying to grow new socks. She has two small white spots on her rump as well, but no white in her tail...which is that strange, dark, almost mahogany shade some chestnuts get.

As for your guy...I'd say that one big spot looks like an old saddle sore. Definitely, as Macabre said, chestnut though.

trailhorserider 11-06-2010 11:22 PM

What breed of horse is that? He looks a bit like my Mustang. :-)

damnedEvans 11-07-2010 05:47 AM

Thank you for your responses.
MacabreMikolaj: you're right about the question. I should have asked another thing. But thank you for the answer, I've understood now what you mean.
trailhorserider: He is a mixed breed. We don't know his parents or his breeding. Here it's something usual to breed horses without knowing their breed or without having papers for them. His parents were for sure mixed breed too so we can't trace or guess his breeding. So you can say that he is some kind of mustang without the iberian blood :lol: .

taylorswift13 11-07-2010 02:06 PM

He looks like a sorrel. Just putting it out there:)