The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   I don't think I'm being taught right. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-dont-think-im-being-taught-69988/)

iloverascal777 11-06-2010 11:55 PM

I don't think I'm being taught right.

So I've been thinking lately and I've realized that I'm not reaching any potential with what my best friend has been teaching me about riding, caring for horses, etc. She learned from her drunken mother about a lot of what she's been teaching me and now that she doesn't talk to her mom anymore she's learning on her own and honestly I just don't think she knows what she's doing.

When she gets frusterated (which is quite often) she jerks extremely hard on the reins repeatedly.
It's dangerous to leave a saddle and/or a bridle on a horse while their alone in the field or paddock right? Because to teach her horse Tommy how to get used to the bit, she left him in the paddock with the bridle on for about an hour, then did the same thing with the saddle.
She doesn't seem to give them enough water. Sometimes she leaves Rascal or Tommy in the paddock and works one of them pretty hard and only gives them a small grain bucket of water.

I'm so frusterated with this! I don't know if I should trust her and try to learn from her or if I should just do my own thing and ignore what she's trying to teach me because this just doesn't seem right. The examples I used are just a few of the things she does. I've seen a lot more. Help!

AnitaAnne 11-07-2010 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iloverascal777 (Post 807654)
So I've been thinking lately and I've realized that I'm not reaching any potential with what my best friend has been teaching me about riding, caring for horses, etc. She learned from her drunken mother about a lot of what she's been teaching me and now that she doesn't talk to her mom anymore she's learning on her own and honestly I just don't think she knows what she's doing.

When she gets frusterated (which is quite often) she jerks extremely hard on the reins repeatedly.
It's dangerous to leave a saddle and/or a bridle on a horse while their alone in the field or paddock right? Because to teach her horse Tommy how to get used to the bit, she left him in the paddock with the bridle on for about an hour, then did the same thing with the saddle.
She doesn't seem to give them enough water. Sometimes she leaves Rascal or Tommy in the paddock and works one of them pretty hard and only gives them a small grain bucket of water.

I'm so frusterated with this! I don't know if I should trust her and try to learn from her or if I should just do my own thing and ignore what she's trying to teach me because this just doesn't seem right. The examples I used are just a few of the things she does. I've seen a lot more. Help!

It sounds like you are learning what NOT to do! One should never jerk on the reins or leave a horse tacked up unattended. Water is the most important need (after air) for life. Horses require access to as much water as they want 24/7, unless the horse is extreemly overheated & the water is ice cold - that would cause a shock to the GI tract.

So, I am not anywhere near you, but there must be plenty of horses & riders in the area. You did not say what type of riding you are learning either. Or if you have your own horse.

Go to any boarding stables in a 200 mile radius of your home (or farther if you want to) and talk to the people there. Find out who trains what, what they cost, what they like or don't like about the trainer, etc. Observe a few lessons if possible. Go to a few shows and watch those same trainers or students ride. Are they doing well in the showring? Are they being cruel to their horses? Just watch & see.

Then make arrangements to take lessons with anyone that you feel is good. Maybe you will be able to help your friend to be a better owner & rider too.

Good luck!

sandy2u1 11-07-2010 04:43 AM

I'm not sure what to think about your situation. I personally feel that you should use very gentle hands when handling your horses reins whenever possible, however, I will ask my horse, then tell him and then rip his face off if he chooses to ignore me. I have ripped at my horses face several times. I may get some criticism for even saying this, but there has been a couple of times where my horse bolted...he didn't listen, so I ripped his face off, he decided one day that he would ignore all cues to move off the arena gate...ripped his face off, and even a time or two, he decide he wanted to buck while I was mounting......ripped his face off. In every scenario I mentioned, I meant to cause him pain. He weighs 915 lbs, I weigh a heck of a lot less...I won't hesitate to use my reins/tack as leverage.

As far as the water goes, when my horse has had a really hard workout, I let him cool off before he gets anything.

My question is, how does this girls horses look? Are they healthy? If they are healthy, then you shouldn't be making statements implying that they aren't getting proper care.

That doesn't mean, however, that she is the best person to be helping you with your horses. If you need professional help, then hire a professional.

mbender 11-07-2010 07:32 AM

What do you mean you "rip his face off"? I would never jerk an a horses mouth. Anyone who does deserves to have a bit in their mouth and have someone jerk hard. That angers me! Anyway, rascal, you wouldn't be asking this if you felt you were getting the right training. In my opinion, no not really. Now I will say when I train a young horse with a bridle or saddle, its ok to let them "wear" it. As long as you are there and not just leaving the animal alone. I let them wear the bridle until they start to relax then take it off and start another day. Same with a saddle. As long as there is nothing to get caught up on. And when working them, I wouldn't let my horse drink much if IF he/she was hot. Do research on line, and like someone said, go to some lessons or learn basic care. The more you read, look up and pratice the better you will get!
Posted via Mobile Device

AnitaAnne 11-07-2010 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandy2u1 (Post 807836)
I'm not sure what to think about your situation. I personally feel that you should use very gentle hands when handling your horses reins whenever possible, however, I will ask my horse, then tell him and then rip his face off if he chooses to ignore me. I have ripped at my horses face several times. I may get some criticism for even saying this, but there has been a couple of times where my horse bolted...he didn't listen, so I ripped his face off, he decided one day that he would ignore all cues to move off the arena gate...ripped his face off, and even a time or two, he decide he wanted to buck while I was mounting......ripped his face off. In every scenario I mentioned, I meant to cause him pain. He weighs 915 lbs, I weigh a heck of a lot less...I won't hesitate to use my reins/tack as leverage.

As far as the water goes, when my horse has had a really hard workout, I let him cool off before he gets anything.

My question is, how does this girls horses look? Are they healthy? If they are healthy, then you shouldn't be making statements implying that they aren't getting proper care.

That doesn't mean, however, that she is the best person to be helping you with your horses. If you need professional help, then hire a professional.

Um, I think you may need some professional help too...I have never heard of a horse bucking when trying to mount...not even the unbroke horses I have started...

The horse might be in pain from the tack or something. What you are desctibing sounds very unusual & unneccessary. Please go find some help.

iloverascal777 11-07-2010 01:56 PM

Thank you all for your responses. They're in good condition but it seriously worries me when she leaves one or both of them in the paddock with little to no water for a a day or two at a time. Maybe I'm overreacting but I just really care about Tommy and Rascal (they're both extremely sweet boys). I just don't want to see either of them get hurt. When they're turned out they have a trough filled with water. I think it's about 40-50 gallons. The thing about 'ripping his face off' seems extremely harsh. I personally do not believe in using the bit to punish a horse.

I understand that they need to cool down before drinking water, but after they do, they need/want a lot. I mean, it's like when a person goes out for an hour run and come back, they're going to drink one to two glasses of water. It takes more than a few sips of water to quench their thirst.

sandy2u1 11-07-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Um, I think you may need some professional help too...I have never heard of a horse bucking when trying to mount...not even the unbroke horses I have started...

The horse might be in pain from the tack or something. What you are desctibing sounds very unusual & unneccessary. Please go find some help.
:rofl:Out of that one statement you gather that I have serious issues with my horse or that it's probably ill fitting tack. C'mon! I didn't say it was a common occurrence or even has happened in the last couple of years. It happened a long time ago, and I did get professional help to fix the problem....a long time ago, when it actually was a problem.

And yep I will rip my horses face off if I have to. On the rare occasions that I have done it, it certainly wasn't my first reaction, so he certainly had plenty of chances to do the right thing on a much softer cue. If he chooses to ignore me for whatever reason, then to bad for him if it hurts. My horse is a good boy and usually responds well to very soft and subtle cues and that is how he is handled daily (gently). That is the way he will always be handled as long as he can listen and behave himself. If he wants to act stupid or flighty, then he will feel the pain.

kevinshorses 11-07-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnitaAnne (Post 807872)

I think you have not been around very many horses. I've been training horses for 17 years and there are certain times when you need to be a little rough with a horse to get through to it. I have also had dozens of horses decide they needed to blow up when I was first getting on them. The fact that you have not means that you don't have as much experience as you think you do.

AnitaAnne 11-07-2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 808216)
I think you have not been around very many horses. I've been training horses for 17 years and there are certain times when you need to be a little rough with a horse to get through to it. I have also had dozens of horses decide they needed to blow up when I was first getting on them. The fact that you have not means that you don't have as much experience as you think you do.

Well, I never said I was a professional, and I may just have a diffent way of dealing with difficult horses than you do! I won't go into how many years I have been riding...but I have more than a few years on you:D

The only way I can afford to ride (mostly Dressage now) is to buy "dangerous" horses cheap. Then I retrain these outlaws & teach them that my way is what they want!

Most people are even afraid of my current project from the ground, he can sure put on a show, but i enjoy a horse with spirit & never want that spirit broken...I love the energy!!!