The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   Do you show? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/do-you-show-70/)

OhSnapItsRoxy 11-26-2006 11:11 PM

Do you show?

Just wondering - how many people on here compete? And if you do, what discipline(s) do you compete in? How long have you been showing?

child in time 12-05-2006 04:21 PM

often I do, but in the past I was competing in show jumping for 3 years. Now I ride and train horses, and waitin my foal to grow up to be a show jumper. I sometimes go on dressage event.

sammiwhiskers2k6 12-05-2006 06:46 PM

hey.. i show generally.. have done dressage, xc, sj and of course event! also shown in hand! when you enter a areana and hear yours and your ponies name be read out... that feeling is priceless!

OhSnapItsRoxy 12-05-2006 09:31 PM

When I was growing up, I showed all the time. As I got a bit older, I competed mainly in Hunters and Equitation. Nowadays as a professional, I can really only compete in Hunters and jumpers as our classes are limited by the USEF.

Do they have Hunters and Equitation where you are Sammi and Child? I was never sure if it was as big over in Europe as it is here. The only thing I hear about is show jumpers. :)

sammiwhiskers2k6 12-06-2006 04:15 PM

im from the uk.... hunter trials r always being held... theyre held at my yard, so are hunter shows.. although equatiation is hardly ever heard of.. what is equation exsactly :?

child in time 12-06-2006 06:44 PM

Equitation-what the is this? Anyway what is hunter exactly?

showpony@heart 12-08-2006 12:33 AM

I show- mainly ponies in hack classes(previously), know i'm older i'm starting to compete in dressage and sjumping more, i like eventing too & i go to pony club so i do sporting & almost everything, i compete regularly in several disciplines.

OhSnapItsRoxy 12-09-2006 08:05 PM

Here in the States there's 3 main types of classes held at "Hunter/Jumper" shows.

Jumper classes are your basic stadium jumping classes.

Hunter classes are judged on the horses' smoothness, consistency, form over fences, way of going, and in some classes their conformation is judged. The rider is not penalized unless they do something to hinder the horse. Originally, horses showing in hunter classes should be of good build, with a long, smooth stride and were supposed to represent the ideal field hunter and was 'to be shown over a course of fences built to represent those found on the hunt course'. But of course, we Americans have to take everything to a whole other level and nowadays it's more or less about who has the most expensive pony and the jumps in the ring look NOTHING like what you'd find while hunting. And most of the horses and ponies have exaggerated gaits and all trot around heavy on the forehand. Thank goodness though, there seems to be a revival of the "real" show hunters brewing...

Equitation classes on the other hand are judged on the rider. Riders have to show off their form (body, hand position, leg position, etc), and their skills at guiding their horse over a course of fences. In the lower levels its just a small course of cross rails, but the "Big Eq" and Adult Equitation classes are much more difficult, with various tests that can be included.

What sort of classes do they have where you are? English horse shows here are very different!

horsecrazy15 12-26-2006 08:44 AM

hey i show inhand and...

hey i show inhand and ridden
for my inhand i use my section A mare:
http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/220__9.jpg
http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/22...ting_out_1.jpg
However ive just got a tradtional coloured (14:2hh) but hes very bulshy, i was riding him today and all he wanted to do was canter i don't know what to do? ive only had him for 2 weeks, should i give him time and see or start working on him already??
As soon as i get a picture of Major bill (my coloured) ill put one on :D

aerogeek 12-26-2006 12:27 PM

I Have been showing for about 4 years now. I mainly just do Hunter/ Jumper and Equatation, but will start dressage and combined training shows this summer. :D :D