The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   In need of a few opinions. Help please? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/need-few-opinions-help-please-70009/)

SkyeAngel 11-07-2010 10:30 AM

In need of a few opinions. Help please?

Ok, so I'm really worried about my Phoebe, I've had a few problems with her and I was wondering if any of you clever people have an idea of what could be wrong. Here's the basic rundown of symptoms:

• At the beginning of this year, she seemed to not be striding out as much and was very sluggish (not like her!) The vet found no physical problems but a blood test showed slightly low iron levels so she was trated for anaemia.
  • After some improvement she started becoming lame quite frequently, and may be sound one day but not the next
  • She started protesting to having her saddle put on by stomping, moving away or nipping at me. My saddler and a second opinion both say that her saddle fits well, and from what i've read it does seem to pass the common tests
  • Last time I mounted she shot backwards abruptly (she normally fidgets but this was unusual
  • Her shoulder movements look really jerky in trot and canter when I lunge her
  • Twice now she has shied away when the farrier tried to work on her front feet (unusual for her) and the farrier says she feels very stiff, especially around the shoulder
I do have the vet coming out next week but i thought i'd post to ease my mind as i'm fretting! I'm worried it may be something like arthiritis as I don't want to have to put her on bute long-term and the thought of retiring her is just.....*shudders*

Sorry for a long post but what do y'all think?

wyominggrandma 11-07-2010 10:34 AM

Have you had her checked for Navicular? Sometimes in the beginning stages, you can have some of the symptoms you describe, a bit off, lame one day, not the next, sore moving, short strided, etc.
Have your vet do xrays and see what her feet look like, is her coffin bone turning down, or if there are any other changes in her feet.
If you haven't done xrays yet, that would be the best place to start.

GreyRay 11-07-2010 10:37 AM

^I second that.
Posted via Mobile Device

SkyeAngel 11-07-2010 10:42 AM

Hmmmm, possible. I haven't had her X-rayed in the 3 years I've had her and I've never actually met her previous owners as she was sold by a friend on their behalf. I'm hoping it's something a little more......definable.

To have her x-rayed i'll have to travel to the vet clinic, but i suspect my vet will probably insist on visiting her here first.

Am I correct in thinking treatment for navicular is usually bute and in some cases corrective shoeing?

tealamutt 11-07-2010 10:46 AM

Sorry if I missed this but what is her age and breed? Go out and look at her very carefully, do you see any asymmetry in her muscling? IE. do you see an area (on her butt, in her jaw muscles, in her shoulder, etc) that is more developed on one side than on the other?

This presentation is common for some neuromuscular disorders, some of which are more treatable/manageable than others. I also agree with the above posts about navicular. It is really had to tell these things without seeing the horse in person but these are the top two differentials with the history you have given.

Knowing her age and breed will help. Also, what do you feed her and what is her routine- how often/long/for what do you use her?

SkyeAngel 11-07-2010 11:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Haha, yeah sorry I forgot age and breed in my first post (DUH).
She's 14/15 this year. Breed on her passport says "cob type", and that's about all I know on her breed. She's middle-wieght, got a bit of feather etc.

I'll have to go look at her tomorrow, it's already getting pretty dark here and i'll need daylight to properly examine her. There are some photos of her in my barn, not that i imagine for a second they will actually be helpful. Here's a couple anyway, just so we know exactly what beast we're talking about :wink:

SkyeAngel 11-07-2010 11:19 AM

Oh yeah, She's only been in light work lately - a couple of hacks and schooling sessions a week. She's getting some hay and an evening feed of a small amount of oats with some lucie nuts

Equine Angel 11-07-2010 11:23 AM

She looks very sweet! Do yall have chiropractors there? Sounds like a different issue but one could help her feel some relief. Also they would make another hands on oppinon on your horse and prob reccomned a xray too.

SkyeAngel 11-07-2010 11:30 AM

Thank you, she is VERY sweet. My saddler said he could recommend one, but i've been unable to get hold of him for about a week now, i think i'm gonna give up on that and look elsewhere. Although with the vet coming out this week i doubt i'll find a chiropractor before getting their opinion now. x

tealamutt 11-07-2010 12:33 PM

she looks like a real cutie. The on and off lameness makes me think more on neuromuscular but I am completely unfamiliar with the diseases you have "across the pond" so I'll leave that up to the vet! Navicular sounds highly likely too, I guess you'll have a better idea after she's been worked up.

I also second the chiropractic evaluation, I've seen them do great things on horses.