The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Let's talk about worming minis! (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/lets-talk-about-worming-minis-70018/)

dirtymartini 11-07-2010 12:30 PM

Let's talk about worming minis!

Hi there! I have been giving Ivermectin every 6-8 weeks, and then I was told replace once yearly with Quest, and then once yearly with Equimax.
so...
Jan-I
March-I
May-I
July-Q
Sept-I
Nov-I
Jan-E

Does that look right? Anyway, I don't want to do Quest anymore, heard too many negative things. What can I sub? Also, is this how you worm your minis? Is there an even simpler schedule or formula I can use?

I know I can call my vet, but #1 I am afarid he will try to talk me into using Quest and also, I just enjoy hearing all the opinions here. Thanks!

Gidget 11-07-2010 12:58 PM

you know you don't HAVE to worm your horse that often. There is a new study shown that 2-3 times a year is good enough that way the parasites don't build up a tolerance for the wormer. I know some people might disagree with me but I have my vet books from my classes and it does say that. You could probably read up on it too.

dirtymartini 11-07-2010 01:17 PM

Yeah, I am glad you said that. I am one of those people that like to do things with the least amount of meds. My minis do not leave my property and don't have contact with other horses except the occasional horse riding by that might stop to say hello. Not sure if that has anything to do with them catching or not catching worms.

So, do you think I could use the same amount of Ivermectin twice a year? and then maybe one time Equimax, and one time a year a sub for Quest? Can I just quit the Quest/sub for Quest?

I will admit, I am a little confused and when I google, not sure exactly what I am googling for.

rbarlo32 11-07-2010 01:23 PM

I agree with gidget my birtish shetlands get wormed this time of year as in I was worming them this weekend and easter at the same time they get foot trimmed and deloosed (evan though they don't have lice) and they only nead there feet down that often as they are really slow growing being native and everything.

Gidget 11-07-2010 01:42 PM

I would use the same amount...I would use ivermectin gold during the fall...kills possible tapeworms and a regular ivermectin during spring and if you want to worm twice I would use safeguard..I use it and haven't had any bad side effects...do the paste not the pellets because sometimes horses might drop a bit and you want to make sure they get all the wormer in as possible

kmdstar 11-07-2010 02:20 PM

You can't plan in advance what to de-worm with...you SHOULD have a fecal done everytime it's time to de-worm to find out exactly what worms your horse has then chose the best dewormer to use against it. You can use as many rotation schedules as you want but they probably won't be covering what you need them to.

Appyfreak 11-07-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmdstar (Post 808141)
You can't plan in advance what to de-worm with...you SHOULD have a fecal done everytime it's time to de-worm to find out exactly what worms your horse has then chose the best dewormer to use against it. You can use as many rotation schedules as you want but they probably won't be covering what you need them to.

Thats what I was going to say. the BEST way to worm is to have a fecal done (not that I do, but it is the best way)
Every horse , and every place is different. It all depends, on how many horses are there, how wormy they were to start, how often poop is picked up, ect.

dirtymartini 11-07-2010 07:19 PM

when you say to get a fecal done everytime...you mean 6 times a year get a fecal? The vet comes out and you pay for a farm call plus lab work 6 times a year? Or is there another way to check the poo for worms? Or are you saying you only worm once or twice a year?

Appyfreak 11-07-2010 07:45 PM

You can save a ton of money by taking a poop sample in to the vet, and they look at it under a microscope. Even if you only did it 2 ties a year it would give you a good idea of how infested your horse is, what kind of wormer you should be using, ect.

dirtymartini 11-07-2010 08:08 PM

Thanks, appy! Funny, I never think of my vet as having an actual office. He just magically appears out of nowhere when I call! :lol: I wonder if my regular vet (dog) could do it?