The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need a place to live. Would you guys mind helping?

5K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  ShutUpJoe 
#1 ·
I'm not sure where to put this, but I figured Farm was some-what appropriate.

We are looking for a place for sale/rent in VA that is reasonable commute to DC.
There are 6 of us(demented) kids total, but we can live with atleast a 3 bedroom just fine(right now we are all in a 1 bedroom appartment), but it has to have enough property for atleast a couple of our 11 horses, enough for all is preferable.

We has been driving around, searching the web, and browsing news papers without much luck.(We did find the perfect place but it was just rented out *shakes fist in anger*).

The property doesnt have to be fenced, we can put up our own if we have to.

Any and all help is greatly appriciated!
(((hugs)))
If you have questions, I will try to answer them :)
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
^oh yeah, we have been doing that too.
I was just kinda wondering if anyone knew of a place, or has seen places when doing their own searches and stuff.

I just thought that maybe if I help my parents, I will be able to see my horses sometime in the near future.

Thanks for your post!
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
I live in Northern Virginia and commute everyday to DC. My husband and I got a realtor to find the condo I am living in right now.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but you aren't likely to find alot (let alone anything cheap) of horse property in Fairfax or Arlington counties. The horse properties I have been seeing are all far west or south. Prince William County or Loudoun County would be the first place I would look for horse properties. The further away from DC you go, the cheaper it will be.

I do love looking at houses and properties though! If I spot something, I'll post it here.

#7 ·
Good luck. Rental horse properties are rare, especially in the area where you want to live. They're also exorbitantly expensive.

Nothing
in NOVA is 'reasonably priced' as far as I'm concerned! Which is why I live in south central VA now. :wink:

You might try looking in southern Maryland, as opposed to northern Virginia. That area isn't too expensive, if you're willing to commute.

#9 ·
^^ I think I'll be moving down to south central VA! :-p Bet the traffic is alot better too...

Unless your parents are millionaires, I think it's highly unlikely you will be getting a horse farm with a nice commute to DC. The best you could find would probably have your parents making a two to three hour commute.

#10 ·
ptv, I saw the price on that 5 acre place and almost had a stroke! :shock:

I got 5 acres, almost all of it in pasture, for 15% of what they want for that one place!

The property taxes are also nothing compared to places north. I pay less than $600 a year in taxes for my property.

As far as traffic, if I have to sit in traffic for more than 5 minutes, it's an extreme rarity.

I love this area. Yeah, it's a little backwards and the politicians are just as corrupt as those in D.C., but it's beautiful, inexpensive, and livestock friendly.

#13 ·
Yikes! I am sooooo envious...and a little depressed that I looked at the price of that place and thought "seems right!" >.< I need to pick a new career and get out of this area!

I'm also depressed because this morning I took the GW parkway for a change, and when I was mere minutes away from my office, I took a wrong turn and ended up having to go through downtown. GRRRR

GrayRay, if you haven't already, look on Virginia Equestrian.com. There's a section in the classified for just horse properties.

#11 ·
Thanks for the links, I will be showing them to Mom as soon as she is back inside.

Yeah I know what you mean about being millionaires, we found the perfect place in 'the meadows' I do believe, and everything there is big $$$(because its right on the track and xc course, litterally), but it was a cute little farm house with beautiful property and a polo barn w/ loft and when we saw that the price was only $1800 a mo. Jaws dropped! Unfortunatly someone snatched it up before us.

The property doesnt have to be set up for horses per se, it just has to be big enough for them. We can work lol
Posted via Mobile Device

#12 ·
Grr. Why can't they have house browsing websites set up like Equine.com?
I don't know what city I want to live in, and really don't care. I just need someplace within X amount of miles from DC!
Posted via Mobile Device

#14 ·
Dont worry, mom can never remember wich GW she needs to be on lol. The roads are so stupid here... If every road is going to be George Washington Something or Other, they atleast need to properly mark them.

No I hadnt looked there yet, Thanks!
I was mostly looking at sites like Rent.com, and all the others on the first google page >.<
Posted via Mobile Device

#15 ·
Ok, so I spotted an ad on virginiaequestrian.com for a 4 bedroom house on 26 acres w/ a 6 horse stable in Fredericksburg for $2700 a month, Mom and Dad called on it and we are gonna go out and see it when dads not being grumpy, which will be...?. But I will update you guys when we go!
Posted via Mobile Device

#16 ·
If you guys can drive down to Spotsy, there's a cute place on Brock Rd. It's between Courthouse Rd and Orange Plank Rd. I very rarely drive by, but my friend told me that it has a sign out front "for rent or sale" by the owners (no listing with realtors). I think it has a 3 or 6 stall barn *not quite sure* and a paddock area. My hubby used to make the commute everyday to Alexandria, then on to DC for the bulk of his work, until they moved his office to Woodbridge. If I can get by there, I'll get you the number.

#20 ·
These are in Falmouth. The commute from there is around an hour... but train station is close by...

FALMOUTH, VA 22405 | House for Sale | #ST6804115 - RealEstate.com

This looks like a house that still needs to be built but it's in a good location. How much land do you need? The further north you go the more expensive it's going tot get...

FREDERICKSBURG, VA 22405 | House for Sale | #ST7218789 - RealEstate.com

not crazy about the red but the yard and the inside are pretty
FREDERICKSBURG, VA 22405 | House for Sale | #ST7474020 - RealEstate.com

That's a couple anyway. If you look towards stafford, that would put you at a 45 minute commute with tons of park-n-rides/van pools/train station etc. Aquia Harbor is a gated community with a stables you could look into....

#21 ·
GreyRay, you also need to be looking at how the land is listed.

If it doesn't have an ag listing you won't be able to put livestock on it, regardless of the amount of acreage.

If it's in a subdivision, I can tell you right now you won't be able to put horses on it.

Besides, why would you want to put up fencing on a rented property? You're only increasing the value of it for the owner, not yourself.

Before you and your family get all gung ho about a particular place, you'd better find out what the covenants and restrictions are, as well as whether or not you can put horses on it.

Never
trust what a R/E agent tells you concerning livestock; always do your own research.

#25 · (Edited)
Oh, I just thought about this: To clear up any misunderstanding(or misexplanation on my part haha) what I ment by the property not necessarily having to be set up for horses, is that it needs to be zoned ag with enough acreage, but it doesnt have to have purdy wood fences and a big fancy stable. We can repair/replace/install fences, and clean up a barn if need be. And as already said, we will be living there for a long while.

charlicata, I will be waiting to hear back about that property :)

I havnt seen my horses in exactly 1 month, 1 week and 1 day, so I am greatful for all the replies :)
Posted via Mobile Device

#26 ·
my neighbor had his house for sale for 476. it's on 10 acres w/ a really cute barn. I'll see if it's still for sale....

#28 ·
Ok, so parants went and looked at the house from the virginiaequestrian.com ad, and they say that: The bedrooms are small but 4 bedrooms none the less, all 26 acres are fenced but the fences need some repairs, most of the property is wooded(no biggie), the barn is brand spankin' new & never been used with an unfinished appartment, and it's in a good area.
Posted via Mobile Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.