The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   What hoof supplements do you use (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/what-hoof-supplements-do-you-use-70101/)

poniesponiesponies 11-08-2010 11:43 AM

What hoof supplements do you use

My friends horse has terrible feet and she has asked me to advice her, I have been away from working with horses for a while and understand thaty there are hundred of new products out there. Are there any people consider stand out for brittle feet????

Crickett 11-08-2010 01:29 PM

Good hooves start from the inside out. If you want to know what's going on inside a horse, just look at the hooves. They are the window to the health of a horse. I'd look at the feeding program this horse is on first. She might want to add some ground flax (1/4 cup to a half per day), maybe some biotin, to the feed program and see how that goes. It might take a month or two to see the results. I'd also have my hay and feed looked at to see what is missing for vit/minerals and supplement accordingly based on those results.

ETA: Just an all round vet check to make sure there isn't something else going on that is contributing to it. I'd also look at the terrain the horse is on. Is it too wet, too dry, is that maybe part of the problem.

Ak1 11-08-2010 03:22 PM

Grand hoof, or grand complete is the very best!

GCSM16 11-08-2010 08:39 PM

I agree with Crickett about getting a product with biotin in it, so look at the lables and compare the amounts of biotin present

kevinshorses 11-09-2010 07:24 PM

Feed a horse a good balanced diet and provide adequate hoof care by a proffesional and nature generally takes care of the rest. Keep the horse in a dry place also. With supplements you should give it the better part of a year to see a change. Horses feet grow slowly and from the top down so the healthy hoof will be at the top until there has been time for it to grow down.