The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   TB Registration (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/tb-registration-70136/)

armydogs 11-08-2010 07:45 PM

TB Registration

After several months I have finally received Nakita's Jockey Club registration forms. The only registration forms I have dealt with in the past have been AKC. Most of the time I do not care about papers. Anyway, as far as her papers go, is it as simple as signing the back of them for her to belong to me in the JC's eyes? Do I send anything in?

Eastowest 11-08-2010 08:35 PM

Did you recieve a registration certificate for a horse already registered with the Joockey Club? If so, yes, signing the back is sufficient for being considered the owner.

If you need to report the transfer of ownership to the Jockey Club so that it is on record with them (as I did, since I need the Jockey Club to release DNA info to the ApHC when I list a TB mare for breeding with the ApHC) you can read more

here ---- The Jockey Club--Dedicated to the Improvement of Thoroughbred Breeding and Racing Since 1894

and here --- The Jockey Club--Dedicated to the Improvement of Thoroughbred Breeding and Racing Since 1894

dressagebelle 11-08-2010 10:56 PM

When I got my TB mare, we (previous owner and I) signed the back, transfer of ownership part, and then I sent it in, so that I was the owner on file, also for breeding purposes should I have ever wanted to breed her. Was the easiest change of ownership I've ever done.

armydogs 11-09-2010 01:14 AM

wow, thank you ladies. that sounds pretty simple. i think i was trying to make it more complicated than it needed to be.

edited to add I do have the certificate of foal registration.

DubyaS6 12-07-2010 04:36 PM

Not to drag this out even farther, but I just want to be clear that I cover all my bases on Thursday when I pick up my TB...

So I have seen the papers on the horse. They look like a car title to be honest with you and seem to operate the same way.

So both parties sign the back of the papers and send to JC, correct?

Whats the deal with this Certificate of Foal Registration? The horse I am looking at is a mare, but I dont believe she has ever been bred (she is currently 4 and has only been off the track for a year). Do I need anything extra if she hasnt ever been bred?

Just want to add that I did check out the above links, however it wasnt too clear if there was anything necessary for a mare that hadnt been bred, only for broodmares.

Thanks!

Eastowest 12-07-2010 05:08 PM

You don't send anything to JC unless you need them to have you listed as her owner of record fro some reason, and then, all you send is a form, NOT her original certificate. JC, unlike most breeds, doesn't want to ever see her registration certificate again, LOL. They don't record ownership changes on the certificate-- the buyer and seller do that by signing it.

My adult TB mares both have JC certificates which say "Certificate of Foal Registration"-- just means they were registered as a foal from the listed parentage, I believe.

DubyaS6 12-07-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastowest (Post 843321)
You don't send anything to JC unless you need them to have you listed as her owner of record fro some reason, and then, all you send is a form, NOT her original certificate. JC, unlike most breeds, doesn't want to ever see her registration certificate again, LOL. They don't record ownership changes on the certificate-- the buyer and seller do that by signing it.

My adult TB mares both have JC certificates which say "Certificate of Foal Registration"-- just means they were registered as a foal from the listed parentage, I believe.

Ok makes sense. So we both sign the back to "transfer" ownership and I hold on the the papers as the owner...

If I wanted to breed her (99% sure this would NEVER happen) then I would need to send a Transfer of Ownership paper to JC, correct? Is there a time limit on this though? Like would I need to send this within a year of me acquiring her?

Eastowest 12-07-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubyaS6 (Post 843332)
Ok makes sense. So we both sign the back to "transfer" ownership and I hold on the the papers as the owner...

If I wanted to breed her (99% sure this would NEVER happen) then I would need to send a Transfer of Ownership paper to JC, correct? Is there a time limit on this though? Like would I need to send this within a year of me acquiring her?

Yes, you can request one from the JC and they will mail it or fax it to you. You can do one or several horses at once on the same form. No time limit that I know of.

DubyaS6 12-07-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastowest (Post 843343)
Yes, you can request one from the JC and they will mail it or fax it to you. You can do one or several horses at once on the same form. No time limit that I know of.

Thanks for all your help!