The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Thinking about doing Western Pleasure... (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/thinking-about-doing-western-pleasure-70148/)

MustangBlue 11-08-2010 09:46 PM

Thinking about doing Western Pleasure...

Hey guys! As the Spring season is far, but within grasp, I begin to think of activities to do with my horse during this season. the first thing that comes to mind? Most definitely western pleasure! So please go ahead and tell me your experiences and a quick run through of your lessons, first show, etc., and DEFINITELY some tips and what judges look at! Thanks in advance!

xoxo MB

Cowgirl101 11-11-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustangBlue (Post 809698)
Hey guys! As the Spring season is far, but within grasp, I begin to think of activities to do with my horse during this season. the first thing that comes to mind? Most definitely western pleasure! So please go ahead and tell me your experiences and a quick run through of your lessons, first show, etc., and DEFINITELY some tips and what judges look at! Thanks in advance!

xoxo MB

I'll been going western for 10 years now..
First is first, what how your horse for? (Jumping, dressage or ect..)
Because if your horse never did western because English is a lot different from western.
So way of the best thing for you to do if find a good western trainer. So you can take lessons. Do you have a western saddle? It will be a lot better if you have one to use.

I find a trainer but he quit so I kind of on my own and kind of not.
But in western I do barrels (Barrel racing) but I also want to do roping or cutting. But I would have to teach one of my horses for that, I'm teaching one of them for jumping. And my gelding is NOT a roping horse, he sees a rope and flips.

MustangBlue 11-14-2010 11:32 AM

Yep I ride western and (obviously) have a western saddle.:D

Mocha26 11-14-2010 11:53 AM

I have been showing western pleasure for 8 years. I started out on a pony that did not want to listen. In western pleasure that's a problem because judges look at your every move & your every move has to be PERFECT. Judges look at many different things & no 2 judges veiw things similarly. When your at a show, look at who he/she places in a class before you & see how they did it& possibly adjust yourself to be more like them. Being slow is a MUST. Most judges are starting to look at a more natural movement (at least they are here in Ohio) so you don't have to be crippling slow & your lope doesnt have to look like it's painful for the horse. lol Posture is very important, no slouching, heels down, chest out, & smile. That always adds a nice touch. (: If you do any horsemanship classes (pattern riding classes) don't be afraid to take your time. I mean of course be reasonable about it. But it's not timed. You can take your nice time opening a gate & making it perfect while not letting your horse get stressed! Hope this helped you out! (: Enjoy!!

Cowgirl101 11-14-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mocha26 (Post 815873)
I have been showing western pleasure for 8 years. I started out on a pony that did not want to listen. In western pleasure that's a problem because judges look at your every move & your every move has to be PERFECT. Judges look at many different things & no 2 judges veiw things similarly. When your at a show, look at who he/she places in a class before you & see how they did it& possibly adjust yourself to be more like them. Being slow is a MUST. Most judges are starting to look at a more natural movement (at least they are here in Ohio) so you don't have to be crippling slow & your lope doesnt have to look like it's painful for the horse. lol Posture is very important, no slouching, heels down, chest out, & smile. That always adds a nice touch. (: If you do any horsemanship classes (pattern riding classes) don't be afraid to take your time. I mean of course be reasonable about it. But it's not timed. You can take your nice time opening a gate & making it perfect while not letting your horse get stressed! Hope this helped you out! (: Enjoy!!

Yeah my old trainer always said, ''sit up straight watch your feet." But I been riding western for 9 years? So they the best thing is to get a trainer, and alway watch your posture.

sorelhorse 11-22-2010 11:10 AM

I really enjoy wp

teamkrissynmissy 05-14-2011 05:49 PM

iv only been riding for two years when i got my frist horse my mom took me to a show i loved the english jumping but what called me the most was the beautiful wp horses!!! then when i joined 4-h i found that im very good at it i think you should try it at some little shows dont put to much into it at frist you might fall in love!!

.Delete. 05-14-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mocha26 (Post 815873)

Common misconceptions of western pleasure right there.

When a judge is judging a class (depending on the number of horses in the class) they are only able to watch you so much, they dont stare at you and only you. They have other horses to watch, i recently had a conversation with an AQHA judge who told me that when he judges a class he gets to watch every horse for a maximum of 30 seconds in a class. So no, you dont have to be perfect. Perfection would be nice ofcourse, but the majority of judges understand that during a class you will have to pick up on your horse and correct them. Most judges will give you an area in the arena they will not look at so you can correct your horse.

Going slow is not the name of the game. Quality of movement is far more important then speed. Most people think that the slower you go the better you do in western pleasure, and unfortunately (due to some bad judging) that was the style for quite some time. The problem that this idea created is people took horses that were not physically able to go slow were forced, yanked, pulled, spurred into going slow which creates that ugly robotic crippled look you mentioned. Yes a western pleasure horse is supposed to go at a slow-er more relaxed pace. But a horse that is a little faster but a better mover then the slowest horse in the class should place front of the slower horse. If your horse isnt built to go slow then maybe western pleasure isnt for you but thats ok there are alot of other great styles of riding out there thatll work better.

Another thing mentioned in the quote above is to watch the winners and try to adjust to whos placing first. No no no no. This is my biggest pet peeve, this is why we have the crippled horses out there. Inexperienced people think horses are winning just because they are slow, so they take a horse that is just a decent mover and pull it back into the ground till its loping slower then most horses walk and it moves like fido. IMO if your having a good ride then dont fix something thats not broke. Its just not your day, the judge likes another horse better then yours which is ok. Who cares if your not placing first, there will always be another show and another judge. Its not all about winning, if you dont enjoy showing without winning then you shouldnt be showing at all.

Smiling, unless your truly having a great time and want to smile. Dont. 9 times out of 10 smiling becomes forced and fake looking. Its really tacky looking and most judges i have talked to say it doesnt sway how they place at all. Plus when your in 9+ classes you get tired and miserable after forcing a smile for hours.

If you want to try western pleasure, more power to you i think its a great idea. But make sure you get with a trainer who has experince with western pleasure.

End rant.

shannonrose5998 05-14-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowgirl101 (Post 813217)
I'll been going western for 10 years now..
First is first, what how your horse for? (Jumping, dressage or ect..)
Because if your horse never did western because English is a lot different from western.
So way of the best thing for you to do if find a good western trainer. So you can take lessons. Do you have a western saddle? It will be a lot better if you have one to use.

I find a trainer but he quit so I kind of on my own and kind of not.
But in western I do barrels (Barrel racing) but I also want to do roping or cutting. But I would have to teach one of my horses for that, I'm teaching one of them for jumping. And my gelding is NOT a roping horse, he sees a rope and flips.

English horses can be great western horses. There is a difference between different sports in each style, but WP and Dressage are a lot alike :-)

raywonk 05-22-2011 10:54 PM

Delete AMEN.