The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Is my mare pregnant? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/my-mare-pregnant-70187/)

Kcombs7 11-09-2010 03:09 PM

Is my mare pregnant?

Hey everyone! I am new to the forum. My dad purchased a horse back in April. He gave her to me and I have had her for about 2 months. When he bought her, there was a "possibility" that she was pregnant. I had the vet come out at the beginning of October and he said no. However, I also heard that after a horse is at a certain point in their pregnancy, a palpatation isn't accurate anyway. Everyone at the barn I board her at swears up and down that she is pregnant. She does have a big belly. How will I know for sure? Is there a way to post a pic on here to get everyone's opinion? Thanks so much!

Alwaysbehind 11-09-2010 03:14 PM

The only way to know for sure is to ask the vet again.

Photos posted on the internet will not give you a concrete answer.

Kcombs7 11-09-2010 03:25 PM

Ok thank you! I may call another vet out to do an ultrasound. Or I know they have weefoal but I don't know how easy it would be to get her to pee on a stick.

Piaffe 11-09-2010 03:27 PM

you should post pics anyways :) ! but only the vet will be able to say for sure of course!

Kcombs7 11-09-2010 03:29 PM

I could post pics just to get some opinions...how do I do that? ;)

Kcombs7 11-09-2010 03:38 PM

Oh wait I figured out how to do it. I am going to take a few tonight from different angles and get them posted on here! :-)

Indyhorse 11-09-2010 03:44 PM

If you don't know when/where/if the mare was bred, an U/S is a good idea anyways, pasture breeding can lead to a higher incidence of twins. Also, is she DOES turn out to be bred. with some measurements of the fetus on U/S, the vet can get you a rough gestational age and due date for the foal.

Kcombs7 11-09-2010 05:53 PM

Thank you! How much do ultrasounds usually cost?

Piaffe 11-09-2010 06:27 PM

I called my vet about my preggo mare and they said an ultra-sound (if i took her there) would be about $45. Now that I have to have the vet come out for the ultrasound I am guessing it will be more,but I don't know how much...

I had another one done on a mare probably a year ago and they came to the house and I believe it was around $55-$65

tealamutt 11-09-2010 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kcombs7 (Post 810271)
I also heard that after a horse is at a certain point in their pregnancy, a palpatation isn't accurate anyway.

Nope, wrong! You can always palpate the foal. I have palpated our arabian herd (about 60+ girls) all through their pregnancies and I have never not been able to feel the fetus.