The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Infected wound *very graphic* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/infected-wound-%2Avery-graphic%2A-70190/)

damnedEvans 11-09-2010 04:44 PM

Infected wound *very graphic*

9 Attachment(s)
I wanted to show you our results with an extremely infected wound. I think that it can be helpful for other confronting the same problem. I searched the internet when we rescued this mare and the information was very hard to find but it was helpful to see how others treated similar wounds.

The story:

Fifi is a rescued mare with an injury to the withers area and head that came to us on 24 august. I'm guessing that the injuries are from an ill fitted harness. The mare is old, over 25 years and very underweight.
We found her abandoned for about 2 weeks with an infected wound. So I'm really amazed that she didn't do septicemia being left untreated all that time.

The treatment:

We treated the wounds by washing them everyday with Physiological serum (Sodium chloride), Hydrogen peroxide and then applying iodoform ether to keep the insects away from the wound and some powder with cicatrizing effect.

For 10 days we gave Fifi Penicillins and antiinflamatory shots.

Now after almost 3 months we treat the wound only by washing it with Sodium chloride and then applying cicatrizing powder on it.

Now the wound is almost healed. The only problem is that she is still underweight. We're hoping for the best.

WARNING * Very graphic images*

First day

Fifi as she arrived to us
Attachment 45833

Here you can see the puss that was dripping from the wounds on her entire shoulder.
Attachment 45834

The wound from her head. This was infected also.
Attachment 45841

This is the biggest wound from her body, in the withers area. It was full of puss, you could introduce your whole hand there in the space between the muscle and skin. It was infected more than you can see in the photo because the wound was very deep.
Attachment 45835

This is the other side of the wither.
Attachment 45836

Here you can see the wounds after we washed them. You can see the vertebral column there. We were afraid about a bone infection.
Attachment 45837

NOW (she is the same horse despite the color change)

And here is the biggest wound after three months. You can see some new and healthy tissue forming. The wound is smaller and the infection is gone. This is the only wound remained.
Attachment 45838

Fifi is still underweight but we hope that she will start putting back weight now.
Attachment 45839

Attachment 45840

Jacksmama 11-09-2010 05:13 PM

OMG thats horrific! I would really love to get ahold of whoever did that to poor Fifi!! So glad you're doing what you can to make her later years pleasant!

lucky13 11-09-2010 05:23 PM

OMG that is the worst thing that I have ever seen. People should not be allowed around animals. I am glad to see that someone who cares has her!! Please keep us posted in how she is doing....

ShutUpJoe 11-09-2010 05:51 PM

Poor ol gal : (

noogie the pony 11-09-2010 06:01 PM

That is so sad, I'm glad you could save her! :D

MaggiStar 11-09-2010 06:31 PM

Jesus thats gruesome!
Well done for taking such good care of her

CinderEve 11-09-2010 10:48 PM

Oh my goodness poor girl! I'm so glad you're taking such good care of her! I agree, would love to get my hands on the person that did that to her.

PintoTess 11-09-2010 11:44 PM

thats horrible! How can anyone ever let a horse get like that! thats so cruel!

AlexS 11-10-2010 01:46 AM

Thank you for helping her. There is a special place reserved for you for helping this old horse while you would get nothing but expense in return. You are a wonderful person with a huge heart.

Snookeys 11-10-2010 01:51 AM

Was she abandoned with a bridle on?

Gosh... people are so cruel... bless you for saving her. She loves you unconditionally, I'm sure.