The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   How to do a Sliding Stop? (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/how-do-sliding-stop-70216/)

DixieLu 11-09-2010 09:47 PM

How to do a Sliding Stop?

I have heard a few different things but I wanted to know what is bests prefered. :-|

nrhareiner 11-10-2010 12:14 PM

Find a good reining trainer and have him train you and your horse. That is the best way to do it. Sliding stops are not something that you can just do. One the horses are bred to do it and then need to be properly trained or they will end up getting injured.

Sullivan17 11-10-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrhareiner (Post 811320)
Find a good reining trainer and have him train you and your horse. That is the best way to do it. Sliding stops are not something that you can just do. One the horses are bred to do it and then need to be properly trained or they will end up getting injured.

Exactly. I have NO clue about it.. but i know quite a few people who think they're horse can do a sliding stop with no training. Not to mention the horses are not bred for that kind of thing.

They think if they run at top speed, slam down in the saddle and pull on the reins as hard as they can and yell at the top of their voice to whoah that the horse is going to do perfect sliding to stop.. And now they wonder why their horse won't stop now...

So Please go to a trainer, don't try it on your own.

Zeke 11-10-2010 01:53 PM

Just need to add that I completely agree with getting a trainer! A sliding stop when not done correctly can really hurt your horse and you'd be suprised how hard they are to sit if you don't know how and the horse jams onto their front end.

Sliding is a combo of a great horse, great footing, proper shoes and of course a trainer, NOT just deciding it's something you'd like to try.
Posted via Mobile Device

mls 11-10-2010 02:58 PM

Another mention - for a a good, true sliding stop, the horse needs to have sliders on the rear and the footing has be to conducive.

Now a working cow horse can do a good 'sit' stop. We teach by loping the horse until it learns to 'seek' the whoa. Add finesse by transitions (W/T/C) so the horse does not anticipate the request.