The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   prospects ? (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/prospects-70256/)

wannabeareiner 11-10-2010 03:20 PM

prospects ?

When youre looking or a reining prospect , what do you look for in it's show record? or if youre buying a foal / weanling , what do you look for on their papers as in accomplishments ?
Also , when would be the right time to look for a reining prospect ? when their a foal or yearling? What should their build be like , and conformation ?
Ou , another question , If a beginner reiner was to buy a yearling and had them trained by a professional reining trainer , and the rider took lessons to develop their reining skills from said trainer , would that be okay ? or would it be best to look at mature horses ?

Zeke 11-10-2010 03:31 PM

I personally bought a 4 year old with a decent foundation in the basics of reining and who was definitely not green to riding then found a trainer an took lessons. She was also well bred for reining and cows (had some big earning names in her pedigree) which also really helped.

I would not suggest buying a yearling as your first reining mount. You'd have a better time buying something at least 4-6 who is mostly finished and then if you wanted to finish them with your trainer and become a good team you could.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 11-10-2010 04:39 PM

^^ This.

Although I am a firm believer in buying something experienced for a first mount, I think that in a lot of sports (reining especially) there are things to be gained by buying a horse who is almost finished. Like my new girl Selena is a good example. She's four, earned over $600 in her snaffle years, but now is being put up in the bridle. Although I, personally, have done this sort of thing before I wouldn't hesitate to teach newbie reining riders on her.

I advise against yearlings or weanlings for first mounts. Because at that rate, you put up the cash to start and train the colt and then by the time you get in the saddle and start taking lessons yourself you could've bought something finished for the same amount. Just my opinion though....Once you get started I have no problem with buying a baby, but not at first.

This way, you can learn what you're doing and then down the road you can get yourself a nice little yearling to raise up.

nrhareiner 11-10-2010 05:11 PM

I agree find a finished horse. I would not even suggest looking at an almost finished horse. Find one with earnings with a green or rookie reiner and get that one. You will go through about 4 reiners before you will really be ready to get a prospect. For many reasons this is the best way to go. Trying to tell someone what to look for in a prospect is almost impossible. There are so many things I look for when I am looking for not only a young prospect but also breeding that it is hard to tell people. Sometimes it is something I can not even put into words that I see in a young horse that makes me say that is the one.

StylishK 11-10-2010 11:27 PM

I agree with everyone. Go with finished, showing and proven for a green/rookie rider.

Heck, I went down to look at 2 and 3YOs for my next reiner (I've had a few), and came home with a 6YO. Why? Because I rode her, and she was fun and I realized I didn't want to wait around for one to get broke, I had that as an option and I liked it best. She's broke, been shown, and proven in the show pen.

Heartland 11-14-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannabeareiner (Post 811483)
When youre looking or a reining prospect , what do you look for in it's show record? or if youre buying a foal / weanling , what do you look for on their papers as in accomplishments ?

Like everyone else suggested, if you want to get on the fast track and off on the right foot, find yourself a finished reiner. I'm currently leasing a finished reiner to fine tune myself. Get yourself set up with a good reining trainer for lessons and coaching. Give yourself a few years into it. Reining is a tough sport, and it takes a lot of time and riding to get it right.

When I looked at purchasing a prospect, I first looked for proven pedigree. I didn't just want a good stud. The mare had to be proven as well. My colt is out of Ris Key Business (enough said there!). The dam is a futurity winner and money earning daughter of Color Me Smart. While pedigree isn't everything, I think coming from two proven parents IMO is the best way to go if you're looking for a prospect that could potentially take you to where you want to go show wise. :wink: