The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   competition nerves (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/competition-nerves-70260/)

melaniewilkes 11-10-2010 04:39 PM

competition nerves

i have a showjumping competition this Saturday and I am really nervous about it for a number of reasons. The class is 2'3, and while I have jumped 3'6, I haven't jumped a course that high (meaning, would have a few teeny crossrails then a 3ft jump). The second is that I haven't done a competition for at least two years, and this is my first show jumping competition, the last ones being dressage. The third reason is that I will only get to ride the horse I am riding in the competition once before the competition, and my friends who have ridden her says she rushes into the jumps and does a small buck after each jump.
If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it!

wesgirl 11-11-2010 04:43 PM

My advice to all my riders: Just ride like you know you can.
If you can ride well, you can ride any horse :) If your nervous, just stick your heels down, body tall, and ride through the nerves.

In the end, you'll be fine. I am sure your trainer would not put you on a horse she/he did not think you could ride, let alone have you show it.

So when you get in that showring, just pretend like you are having a regular jumping lesson and ride like you know you can:-)

melaniewilkes 11-11-2010 05:46 PM

thanks for the advice :-)

dance21 11-12-2010 02:30 AM

From my point of view, there is a first time for everything and that you shouldn't be too worried about winning or being the best, the best rider is the one who does the course properly and gets it done right.
Don't worry about it and go out there and have fun!

VictoriasHeart 11-21-2010 05:45 PM

that was me

i used to be soo scared:oops::shock::? id shut down and forget to ride when i jumped my trainer put me on a new horse that was lighter to my hand and instantly loved it!!!:lol: so if ur scared maybe a short term horse switch will help:wink: