The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Bison trailer frame failure (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/bison-trailer-frame-failure-70312/)

Ohiohorseman 11-10-2010 11:06 PM

Bison trailer frame failure

I have a Bison 2-horse bumper pull straight load horse trailer that I purchased new in 2000. The steel chassis corroded to the point that the rear axle completely separated from the frame as the trailer was being pulled down the highway. Fortunately, the trailer was empty and the speed was low, because otherwise the consequences would have been devastating. In fact, just a few days before that, I was pulling it at 65 mph on the freeway loaded with 2 full-sized race horses. Other problems over the years have included excessive deterioration of the loading ramp, side doors and rear windows, and frequent light and electrical failures. This trailer is complete junk and the manufacturer has refused to take any responsibility. Litigation is likely. Be warned. Bison trailers are cheaply made, very hazardous, and not worth the money.

AlexS 11-17-2010 01:57 PM

Wow so glad you didn't have horses in it at the time. Thanks for the heads up, I am trailer shopping and will bear this in mind.

mls 11-17-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohiohorseman (Post 812073)
I have a Bison 2-horse bumper pull straight load horse trailer that I purchased new in 2000.

Bison trailers are cheaply made, very hazardous, and not worth the money.

Yet you have owned it for 10 years . . .

churumbeque 11-17-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohiohorseman (Post 812073)
I have a Bison 2-horse bumper pull straight load horse trailer that I purchased new in 2000. The steel chassis corroded to the point that the rear axle completely separated from the frame as the trailer was being pulled down the highway. Fortunately, the trailer was empty and the speed was low, because otherwise the consequences would have been devastating. In fact, just a few days before that, I was pulling it at 65 mph on the freeway loaded with 2 full-sized race horses. Other problems over the years have included excessive deterioration of the loading ramp, side doors and rear windows, and frequent light and electrical failures. This trailer is complete junk and the manufacturer has refused to take any responsibility. Litigation is likely. Be warned. Bison trailers are cheaply made, very hazardous, and not worth the money.

Yes and it was cheaply made when you bought it and at a cheap price. Now I wouldn't expect the axle to fall off but the ones I have seen are rusting new on the lot so it doesn't suprise me.

mliponoga 11-17-2010 03:04 PM

Hmmmm...I absolutely love Bison trailers and have personally owned 3 of them and loved them all. They were all 10+ years old and in great shape with minimal rust anywhere to be seen including the frame.

Ohiohorseman 11-17-2010 05:03 PM

I'm not sure what you're implying. I have never seen the axle corrode away and come loose from any wheeled vehicle, whether a car, horse trailer or hay wagon. Also, 10 years is not particularly old for a horse trailer, especially one that has probably had less than 10,000 miles of road use.

Ohiohorseman 11-17-2010 05:05 PM

xxxxxx

faye 11-17-2010 05:10 PM

the trailer is 10 years old. Corrosion is a fact of life perticularly if you live in an area where saltis put on the roads in winter. that is why most manufacturers reccomend that you hose off under your trailerafter every trip. Urine from horses is also extremely corrosive.

the trailer is out of warentee so the manufacturer has no case to answer too. Also if you had your trailer appropriately maintained then the corrosion would have been noticed well before it got to the stage it is at, a proper servicing once a year is essential for keeping your trailer in good condition and your horses safe. That is most likely what the company will defend itself with should you try.

Sorry but You havent got a legal leg to stand on!

churumbeque 11-17-2010 05:15 PM

I would consult a lawyer to find out what your legal rights are instead of this forum. But in general Bison's are the low end of quality trailers

Ohiohorseman 11-17-2010 05:31 PM

I wasn't seeking legal advice from anyone. I was simply trying to alert the readers of the Forum to the fact that Bison trailers are poorly made and hazardous. The fact is, I have been a practicing attorney for 37 years and probably understand the legalities better than Faye (and despite her pronouncements, the presence or absence of a warranty is not necessarily the end of that discussion).