The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Working Student Positions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/working-student-positions-70313/)

Beau Baby 11-10-2010 11:32 PM

Working Student Positions

I'm currently only 16 and not even half way through grade 11 but when I graduate I wanna take a year off an get a working student position with a top 3-Day Event rider/trainer. My coach was short listed for the 2000 olympics so I was an amazing coach but I want to see what's out there even more. I want to grow beyond the Alberta 3-Day Events and see what the rest of the worlds events and riders are like. I have a year and a half to think about who I want to ride with but how do you find people?

Anybody know anywhere that I can find trainers looking for working students? And how do you go about finding the good ones that will let you ride and show and really learn?

Gidji 11-11-2010 12:17 AM

First of all, don't limit yourself to a 3 day event rider. A working student position is about learning and a year in dressage or the hack ring could really benefit you experience wise.

The best tips would be to find a good coach. Make you sure ask all the important questions like is the position live in? What will be expected of me on a daily basis? Will there be any opportunities to show/ride? What will I benefit from being a student here?

Beau Baby 11-11-2010 01:12 AM

Thnx Gidji. I've decided no to limit myself to a strictly 3-Day Event coach but I can not go to someone who only does dressage. I am hoping to make a career out of horses and I need to continue showing to get a good reputation. I don't think it'd be good to take a year off from my discipline.

kitten_Val 11-11-2010 03:26 PM

Usually barns post when they look for working students. Like I know 2 nice barns (I believe both do eventing), that hire working students from time to time. Just look for the places you like and want to work/learn at, and contact the owner.

Zimpatico 11-11-2010 03:30 PM

Also, take the time over the next year and a half to build a great portfolio. Have some really nice quality videos taken that highlight your riding abilities. Talk to people about your goal (vets, riders, trainers, etc). Build relationships with people who can offer you a good reference. Keep an eye out for top name clinicians that you could ride with. It's never too early to prepare and set yourself up for a really successful position!

Beau Baby 11-11-2010 04:15 PM

Thanks guys. I already know a few people who will vouch for me if I ever go looking for a better and new position. I browse yardandgroom.com once in a while and I see quite a few open Working Student positions. How do you know that the trainer is good though and the atmosphere is welcoming? Is it just a word of mouth sort of thing? Also for the big shots like Karen O'Connor and Phillip Dutton, do they even accept working students?

kitten_Val 11-11-2010 05:11 PM

Hmmmm.... I guess it's really tough to tell if the atmosphere will be nice. I'd say if they have people there working number of years than it's safer than the place with new managers etc. But even then it's not the very valid point. :wink: I guess ask. On forum, try to find local for that trainer forums (like we have 3 or 4 local horse forums here in MD) and ask questions there, etc.

Lis 11-11-2010 05:33 PM

yardandgroom.com
Loads of working student positions on there.

irydehorses4lyfe 11-11-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lis (Post 813133)
yardandgroom.com
Loads of working student positions on there.

Yes!!! I was going to post that link. That site is a wonderful resource for all equine jobs. I actually got my current job from that site, and since then have been contacted by 2 other barns interested in hiring me, which I had to turn down. Very easy to search different locations as well. :-)

ptvintage 11-12-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beau Baby (Post 813016)
Also for the big shots like Karen O'Connor and Phillip Dutton, do they even accept working students?

I saw an ad for a position with the O'Connor team on virginiaequestrian.com. I don't remember the exacts of it though.

Just treat this like any other job search. Figure out who your top employer would be. Call up and see if they are interested in working students. If they are, find out about the job. See how you need to apply for it. Follow procedure exactly. If they have no set procedure, send a follow up with a cover letter/resume.

Repeat to every person who you would want to work under.

Don't wait for someone to post an ad. Be poactive.