The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Confo critique gelding! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/confo-critique-gelding-70338/)

LoverofHorses 11-11-2010 10:57 AM

Confo critique gelding!

6 Attachment(s)
Rocky is a 10 year old Quarter Horse gelding. I use him mostly for Trail Rides and Parades. He is about 15 hands tall, according to our measuring tape, which is not very accurate. I hope these pics are good enough for conformation critiquing and please excuse his scruffiness in the pics.

BrewCrew 11-11-2010 11:30 AM

Very kind looking guy! He must be great for those parades! I noticed he looks to be a little straight in the back legs, but it could just be the way he's standing. ;)

Tulula81 11-11-2010 12:47 PM

Hi,
I think his coloring is so pretty! In some of the pics, his legs look a little short for his length of body, but other times they look fine:think: He also seems a little downhill in some of the pics, but it could be the way he is standing? Very pretty coat though, I love it!

sorelhorse 11-11-2010 12:50 PM

he looks overally unbalanced. he has a nice shoulder slope though. but he does not have fantastic conformation...

LoverofHorses 11-11-2010 05:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback! Hey sorelhorse, if you don't mind, could you better explain some of his faults? I'm just interested in learning more about horse conformation.
:-)

apachiedragon 11-12-2010 11:51 AM

I'll give it a shot for you. He looks like he has low pasterns. A good trim will help that some, but I think he'd still be low. He looks to have underrun heels too, especially in the first picture. His back legs are a little too straight, and he has a touch of cow hock. He could use some muscle toning on the back end. Think hill work and impulsion. His legs look a bit short for his body in some of the shots, like Tulula said, but if you were higher than his back when taking the pictures, that could be an illusion. His front end is very nice. His neck ties in well, he has a nicely shaped head, and a kind eye. He does appear to be very solid, maybe not breeding quality, but definitely a very functional riding horse. None of his faults are glaring, and some good farrier work and muscle toning will go a long way toward improving the ones he has. He's very cute, I like him a lot.

Cowboy Ken 11-12-2010 11:57 AM

Is that called a "Hay Belly"?

Hunter65 11-12-2010 12:28 PM

I think his legs look too short for his body too. Odd

LoverofHorses 11-13-2010 04:44 PM

Thanks for the great feedback. We are having trouble with are current farrier and are looking for a new one so his feet really need to be done. He's overweight so that should explain the "Hay Belly" look. Thanks again guys!

Hunter65 11-13-2010 05:53 PM

He is very cute though, but then I am a tad partial to the pallys