The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Why would alfalfa give diarrhea? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/why-would-alfalfa-give-diarrhea-70339/)

CinderEve 11-11-2010 11:19 AM

Why would alfalfa give diarrhea?

A neighbor came and spoke with me while I was feeding Cinder (I seem to have a very nosey neighborhood lol) and asked what I was feeding. I said her grain was a mix of Nutrena Safechoice and alfalfa pellets, and her hay was very good quality alfalfa/orchard grass mix.

He asked if Cinder was getting diarrhea from it and I said no, her poops were perfect (as horse poop goes) and he said in his experience alfalfa always caused diarrhea.

I haven't heard of it before but I'm curious, does alfalfa give diarrhea? Why?

Speed Racer 11-11-2010 11:23 AM

It can give a horse diarrhea but it's certainly not the majority of animals, as believed by your neighbor.

It's a richer food source, which is why some horses have trouble digesting it. Especially older horses or ones with digestive issues.

farmpony84 11-11-2010 11:26 AM

What she said...

MN Tigerstripes 11-11-2010 11:45 AM

It can also cause problems if they aren't acclimated to it (like any other food).

CinderEve 11-11-2010 11:52 AM

Ok. Awesome. I have always fed it and felt like I was doing something wrong for a moment there. It's not something I feed just by itself, but I do sort of "pad out" the feed with it. If that makes any sense. I clear the manure out of the pasture daily and haven't seen anything that looks remotely like diarrhea but I will keep an eye on it.

If you were to say, bring a horse in on it, would you acclimate it to the alfalfa mix the same as you would with any new feed? Small portions at a time?

Speed Racer 11-11-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinderEve (Post 812637)
If you were to say, bring a horse in on it, would you acclimate it to the alfalfa mix the same as you would with any new feed? Small portions at a time?

Yes, it should be introduced slowly.

MN Tigerstripes 11-11-2010 11:58 AM

Yup, it's the same as any diet change.

CinderEve 11-11-2010 12:00 PM

Awesome. Sorry if I sounded a bit ******ed right there lol.

Speed Racer 11-11-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinderEve (Post 812645)
Awesome. Sorry if I sounded a bit ******ed right there lol.

No, not at all. Your questions were quite reasonable.

None of us were born knowing how to care for horses, and what I still don't know far exceeds what I do.

The only thing a true horse person can say is that you'll never stop learning about horses. No one will ever know everything about them.

CinderEve 11-11-2010 12:10 PM

Oh I have to agree, I've been around horses almost all of my life but I'm still constantly learning about them. I think that's one of the reasons I love them so much lol.