The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Green snot in horses nose?

13K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  site4pets 
#1 ·
Star for the past 3 days has had green snot in her nose, it hasnt ran out but its in her nostrils. I was worried because i read somewhere else that it could be strangles and since she was exposed to those 3 horses i am afraid she might of somehow got it from them. Everything else with her is fine, eating, drinking, energetic. Its been getting below 15 degrees here at night all ready but i blanket her so i dont know if cold weather could be doing it. It has frosted here recently too. Her eyes look good, gums arents pale and her hooves arent what i would call "hot". I was wondering if i could give her something or if this means anything. :D thanks in advance

#2 ·
If she's eating and drinking and it's just a little, I really wouldn't worry...it could just be from some dust/dirt. If it's a lot or she starts sounded congested and coughing a lot or she stops eating, you'll want a vet out right away.

#3 ·
I agree with PHM, just a bit of snot could mean 100 different things. She could be developing strangles, have a bit of a cold, or it could just be from her running around in the cold weather. I would just keep an eye on her for any changes in behavior; glassy eyes, lethargic, lumps under her jaw, going off her feed, etc before I started to worry at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.