The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Cushings? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/cushings-70450/)

CinderEve 11-12-2010 04:35 PM

Cushings?

Does anyone have a horse with Cushings? Is it well maintained? Is your horse comfortable? Pasture sound or riding sound?

I've been searching for a pasture buddy for my mare. I've been offered another Percheron cross mare that is 24, but has Cushings. She's on Pergoglide, is sound, does not have laminitis, still trail rides. As long as she has the medication she sheds in summer and does not have an excessive water intake. Talking with the vet (who has treated her for 4 years) the medication is $25 per month, she tolerates it well, doesn't require any other supplements, has her teeth checked twice a year and her feet done every 6 weeks. She's currently fed Nutrena Safe Choice and good quality hay.

I'm loathe to take on an ill horse. I have taken on excessively underweight horses before but never one with a chronic illness. It's in the budget to be able to care for her more than adequately but I have never dealt with a horse with Cushings and I'm not sure if I'm going in with eyes open or with just my heart open. She's in a very good home right now so it's not a matter of urgency or rescue.

Thoughts? Opinions? I am happy to accept all, negative or positive.

faye 11-12-2010 05:09 PM

My little 30yearold has cushings. It is controlled through diet as he doesnt tolerate the medication and coliced when we tried.

He is in reasonable condition for a 30yearold pony who has not had the most laid back of lives.

He is retired but has been so for many years.

Our main problem is controlling his bouts of laminitus which are triggered by the cushings.

CinderEve 11-12-2010 06:45 PM

So, if I have my vet check her out and he gives the ok do you think it'd be a good idea?
Posted via Mobile Device

tealamutt 11-12-2010 07:55 PM

I would say if she is well maintained at 24, she'll probably go another few years. How long were you hoping to have her (realistically even for a non-cushnoid horse she's getting up there in years!) and what did you want to use her for?

MN Tigerstripes 11-12-2010 08:02 PM

My Cushings mare just died at 30. She was pretty comfortable up until that point and if she didn't have other lameness (not related to Cushings) she would've been perfectly fine for light trail riding.

You will need to always be very careful with acclimating her to the pasture in the spring and will need to watch her weight carefully too. If you are willing to do that and keep up with her medication I see no problem with you getting her.

Honestly I wouldn't hesitate to take on another older Cushings horse. In my experience if you control their weight you can control a lot of their symptoms. Just keep in mind this isn't a horse that you can just throw out in the pasture and not worry about. Diet and exercise is key to maintaining her health.

CinderEve 11-12-2010 11:28 PM

I wasn't thinking of really using her for much other than light trails and as a pasture buddy. I don't have a fantastic pasture (was neglected for the last 5 or 6 years) so most of the roughage is sadly going to be hay.

Her age doesn't phase me as much as the Cushings. She's in very good condition and looks like she's in her late teens rather than mid-twenties.

Thanks for the replies!
Posted via Mobile Device

faye 11-13-2010 07:42 AM

if she is just a companion and a light hacking I would have no hesitation at all. Take her.

If you wanted her for anything more serious then I would say she wouldnt be suitable for a heavy workload.

MN Tigerstripes 11-13-2010 11:18 AM

I would take her then too.

Cushings in an aged horse doesn't really bother me as much. A ton of older horses have some sort of Cushings/Metabolic symptomology. It's the ones that have Cushings when they're 7-8 that worry me.

tealamutt 11-13-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinderEve (Post 814613)
I wasn't thinking of really using her for much other than light trails and as a pasture buddy. I don't have a fantastic pasture (was neglected for the last 5 or 6 years) so most of the roughage is sadly going to be hay.

Her age doesn't phase me as much as the Cushings. She's in very good condition and looks like she's in her late teens rather than mid-twenties.

Thanks for the replies!
Posted via Mobile Device

Honestly poor quality hay is much better for her than rich grass so you sound like you're perfectly set up for this gal- light work, a buddy, hay that is suited to her needs! Take her!

CinderEve 11-13-2010 02:43 PM

I have been thinking over it some more and I think I will get her. I'm going to talk to her current owner some more and go from there.

Thanks everyone!
Posted via Mobile Device