The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Simple Line--Please critique me!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/simple-line-please-critique-me-70486/)

GeminiJumper 11-13-2010 09:22 AM

Simple Line--Please critique me!!

Hey everyone! This is from a show a while back and I'm not sure if I've posted this video from a while back so I'm sorry if its a repeat! :)

If you can please critique my position and how the horse is traveling? Thank you!

Let me know if the video doesn't work!

http://www.facebook.com/amber.m.gipp#!/video/video.php?v=431203008744&subj=1075524932

MudPaint 11-13-2010 09:32 AM

You look good to the first fence. It looks like you may have jumped ahead on the second fence or were riding in 2-point to it. When you're hand galloping (I'm saying this assuming it's a normal Hunter Hack pattern), you want to be in your half seat with your hands a bit up on the neck (like you would when galloping). In the vid it looks like your pinching with your knees through the hand gallop and pitched a bit forward because your hands are down.

Half-halts are your friend in a hunter hack class. Prepare your horse for the stop and back.

ImagineThat 11-13-2010 09:32 AM

Very nice horse, your jumps were beautiful. You definately need to work on your halt, though :) I didn't expect that after the horse had traveled around so nicely (to be honest). Everything else was nice.

maura 11-13-2010 09:34 AM

Your overall design of position is good, but what I really noticed in your opening circle is that your lower leg moves a little, and that you need to work on *softly* following the canter with your seat. It looks like you understand the motion and how to follow, but that you're a little too active, driving or pushing with your seat rather than just following. That may also contribute to the lower leg moving. I suspect if you figured out the softer seat, your leg would stay quiet. Your horse looks like he's probably bumpy/difficult to sit.

Your position in the air over the first fence looked quite good, couldn't tell about the second.

Cute horse, but he looks like he can get a little strong. Really resisted the aids at the halt at the end. I'm not a huge fan of Kimberwicke bits, but understand they're fairly common at QH shows. I'd rather see a pelham than a Kimberwicke, because at least then you have the discretion of how much curb to use.

GeminiJumper 11-13-2010 09:43 AM

Thank you everybody for your comments!

MudPaint--Yes, we had to do a hand gallop after the line of fences. I'll keep in mind putting my hands farther up the neck. I just thought you had to get into two point!

ImagineThat--Thank you! Yeah, I also didn't think she would do that. She normally does beautiful stops! Must of been my nerves. It was my first time showing jumping!

Maura--Yes, I had to spend a lot of time working on her canter. Before I rode her, she was ridden western and had a very short, choppy, back-killing "lope". I had to spend a lot of time opening her up and let her legs go. That is part of the reason I moved around a lot. I was also very nervous about my ride and I think nerves made me very stiff. :( Thank you for the comment about my position over the jump. I used to jump ahead horribly! Also I had a question. My trainer had said that I had "cheated" to win the class by sitting on her back. I guess referring that I should of stayed in two point the entire time?? I thought that didn't matter?

maura 11-13-2010 11:17 AM

Gemini,

Sorry, I am not familiar with the judging conventions for QH shows, so I really can't comment on your trainer's "cheating" reference.

As far as USEF hunters, the ideal is that a rider stay in two point while the horse maintains a relaxed forward pace with only minimal adjustments; but you'll see lots of hunter riders sit down in a line to either ****** the stride or open it up to make the distance work; you'll also see a lot of hunter riders sit in the corners to rebalance for the flying change or for the next line.

GeminiJumper 11-13-2010 09:51 PM

Ahh. Okay. Thank you though! I guess I'll have to keep that in mind when it comes to hunters!

GeminiJumper 11-15-2010 11:15 AM

Bumping

ErikaLynn 11-15-2010 11:23 AM

I cant see the video