The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   He's getting there... I'm not. Jumping Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/hes-getting-there-im-not-jumping-70503/)

MudPaint 11-13-2010 12:56 PM

He's getting there... I'm not. Jumping Critique

1 Attachment(s)
So I'm bummed that there weren't more shots. There was a doozie of a moment where I got left behind that belongs on the thread of jumps gone wrong! :oops: I know I was nervous the whole time because the footing was very slippy so I over rode and jumped ahead. I think I should have brought my stirrups up too. But Primo's getting there. He's actually getting the front end together more, if anyone remembers the forarms all pointing down. :oops: I think we'll def be ready for Beginner Novice next year if we can get our dressage together.

We DQd in dressage, he was totally distracted the whole morning and apparently in jump mode. We very neatly exited the ring just before C and re-enter just after C. Love how my score sheet says "shows talent for jumping". Oh well... such is life. He was a real trooper otherwise and we even got to do a roller coaster on XC. Ok... enough gushing... ha ha.

So your thoughts? I always seem to ride well at home, but have moments in competition that make me think we have tons of work... er I have tons of work.

Elementary - Stadium - Laslo's Photos | SmugMug

http://www.digitalexpressionsphotogr...155_w5nDU-A-LB

Elementary - XC - Laslo's Photos | SmugMug

Elementary - XC - Laslo's Photos | SmugMug

Ak1 11-13-2010 02:39 PM

Great jumper! Great form by you. The only thing that I would say is, that you say that you feel like you were overriding and jumping ahead, which means you definately were. So just a lot of times we as jumpers get caught up in riding well, and overcontrolling, however, jumping is a natural thing for most horses and they can usually ride out at LEAST 50% of the control. At your home next time, try a point and shoot. Let your horse pick footing and landing and see what he does. If he's completely at a loss of where to go or what to do, you'll know that he needs more of that exposure. Think about your horse when you aren't riding (majority of theday).... He has to use his own head to think about what to do and where to go etc.. Sometimes, it's best when they use they're own brain! Good luck, sorry for ramblling!

mollybolly 11-13-2010 04:20 PM

very cute jumper! i would love to see you give him just a tad more of a release and your stirrups go up just a hole or two. otherwise your looking great!

azarni 11-13-2010 08:11 PM

Looking good! Your release is, in my opinion, what needs the most work.

dashforcache 11-13-2010 08:22 PM

i agree with azarni, work on your release and like you said you are ahead a bit but other then that you guys look great

MudPaint 11-14-2010 09:23 AM

I agree on the release. Looking through the shots I'm a bit disappointed in myself because he handled it so well.

Ak1-It's getting to the point where I've started to let him go to the fences at home. He has not been a natural jumper, and until April, he had never jumped before. But I do need to start trusting him more to figure out his end of the deal.