The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   After a Month of lessons. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/after-month-lessons-70548/)

Lonestar22 11-13-2010 11:37 PM

After a Month of lessons.

I take lessons on a diffrent mare, but would like to take them on Daisy as soon as I can get a BP trailer. This is me and Daisy jumping in our pasture. I'm not sure what the hight is, I didn't measure. I know I look terrible, lol. Soo have fun!!!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6288106_n.jpg

She nicked it.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4724435_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7891218_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4327575_n.jpg

tealamutt 11-14-2010 01:55 AM

I've only be jumping since this summer so you'll get more detailed help from some of the others but I'll throw my 2 cents in: HELMET! You're really over jumping and are out of the tack far more than you need to be. You're doing a great job of looking up beyond the jump and giving her a very nice release however throwing all your weight up on to her shoulders is not doing her any favors and is not at all necessary for this little jump (or ever).

I also think you could raise your stirrups about 3 holes. I would do a lot of work on the flat in 2 point so you can maintain your position over the fence. Your lower leg does not move back behind the girth (great job!) but you need to be supporting yourself more so you don't unbalance your sweet willing mare! Good luck!

cosmomomo 11-14-2010 03:09 AM

something tells me your mare is not happy about something. her ears are pinned in every picture. would you mind telling me what kind/where you got that saddle?

VelvetsAB 11-14-2010 03:17 AM

The OP did not ask for an opinion on what she was wearing on her head, but is asking for a critique on her riding and her horse.

Kudos for finding an instructor Lone. I know it was difficult to find one for you. I like that you are looking where you are going and that you have a fairly consistent release on Daisy.....but, you are jumping ahead and not waiting for the jump to come to you. You also do not need to close your hip angle as much as you are as these are not huge 4' jumps. Your lower leg looks pretty solid! If you look at all 4 pictures, it is nearly in the same exact place every time. If you were comfortable with it, you should bump your stirrup up a hole or two, but you are getting into your two point easily, so it isnt a neccessary thing.

tealamutt 11-14-2010 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VelvetsAB (Post 815627)
The OP did not ask for an opinion on what she was wearing on her head, but is asking for a critique on her riding and her horse.

mmm she wasn't asking for anything specific she said "have fun"

VelvetsAB 11-14-2010 03:39 AM

Edited....anything I want to say back is going to be rude, so I am just going to leave it alone....

kcscott85 11-14-2010 10:14 AM

Come on, have we learned nothing from the controversial helmet thread in the Riding category? Let's PLEASE not start this again.

Back to an actual critique:

You need to shorten your stirrups 2-3 holes. Your center should always be over your feet to maintain balance and not fall forward over her neck. You should sink your weight into the back of your leg so your heel drops. You are so far out of the saddle that you're using your upper body to balance yourself and as a result you're not letting her jump the way she could be if you had stayed out of her way. Also, you're practically standing up so when you land I bet you come down with a thump, which doesn't feel good to your horse. Your arms need to be straight and not hollowed in.

Good job on looking up though! That's usually the most common fault, even with experienced jumpers. I would hike up those stirrups and practice two-point and then take off the stirrups and keep practicing two-point. You want to be able to stay in that position no matter what (and stay balanced). Good luck!

MudPaint 11-14-2010 10:32 AM

I agree on the stirrups going up a hole. You actually look stable through your leg, so I don't mean much, just so you don't have to stretch and twist your leg for support. I'm curious if one stirrup/leg is longer than the other, in a few of the photos it looks like your twisting to the right.

Learn to wait for your horses jump and stay centered over your leg. I think once you do that, you may see a few less touches on the front end. Your release is nice, your eyes are up and your back is flat.

Kudos on finding a trainer. Looks like the lessons are paying off.

kitten_Val 11-14-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcscott85 (Post 815779)
Come on, have we learned nothing from the controversial helmet thread in the Riding category? Let's PLEASE not start this again.

Thank you! I was about to post the same.

First off, it's a "Critique" section, not "Pictures". Opinion was given, it's up to the OP to listen or not to listen. There is no reason to start jumping on each other about any critique given (assuming it's done in nice non-offensive way). Much less to go rude.

Lonestar, I agree with other people saying about shorten your stirrups. I think you are doing a great job after one month only, and you definitely have to continue lessons with the instructor.

apachiedragon 11-14-2010 11:15 AM

I don't have much to add that hasn't been covered, except you are toeing out pretty badly in a couple of the pics, which means you are really gripping through the calf. Still, not bad at all for just getting going.

I have a question about Daisy though, please don't take it wrong, I really am just curious. Has she ever been taught to jump, or are you just playing around with her? You may have said in another thread, I just can't remember. She looks like she's throwing her legs out in front of her instead of tucking them over the jump. I know they are small right now, but that will cause problems as you go bigger. Is she fast to the jump? Sometimes that can cause it. Until you can get ahold of a trailer, maybe you could ask your instructor about grids or bounce poles in front of the jump to help her balance up and jump tighter. Good luck! I think you are off to a great start!

cosmomomo, I just had the impression Daisy was concentrating very hard, which is why her ears were back. Pinned ears can mean a lot of different things... Without seeing anything else, that one is hard to judge either way.