The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Bitless bridle??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bitless-bridle-706/)

Missi 02-13-2007 05:35 PM

Bitless bridle???

A friend of mine just purchased a bitless bridle for his mare @ www.bitlessbridle.com. I am anxious to hear how she does for him. The reviews on this website are really good.

These are not hackamores. Has anyone here had success w/ these bitless bridles?

I'm considering purchasing 2 for both my geldings. Just wondering

Raini 02-13-2007 06:15 PM

I think bitless bridles are good. Though they work more with leverage from pressure on the nose and poll. I'm not really a bit fan of leverage but i do think bitless bridles are good. :D

crackrider 02-13-2007 10:43 PM

I think bitless bridles are great in the right hands on the right horse!
Maybe you should borrow your friends and try it on your horses first before you buy one just to be sure! :)

mokinho 02-13-2007 10:58 PM

War Bridle???

I went to that site and it reminds me of a war bridle.....

These are not my words, but I've heard some horror stories in relation to a war bridle.

'War Bridle' - The 'War Bridle' is one of the most vicious pieces of equipment one can use against a horse. It also causes most horses to rear over backwards and is highly dangerous in the hands of anyone other than the complete Pro.

The only difference between the war bridle and the no bit bridle is the fact that the no bit bridle doesn't go under the chin, but crosses just in front of where the chin strap sits.

I'd like to hear some feed back on this tooo! The questions I have for your friend is ....

How experienced a horse person is he?
How trained is the horse he is using the bit less bridle on?
Was there a difference on how he managed his connection with the reins?

kristy 02-14-2007 01:00 AM

Tell us how it goes..

horsecrazy15 02-14-2007 11:13 AM

just got to say this but once at HOYS (horse of the year show) i saw a showjumper with only a bit in its mouth i was very shocked and didnt know how it was staying in its mouth? i just thought that the horse was very well behaved and the man riding was just trying to prove a point that horses aren't animals that do there own thing or something in those lines.....? anyways is there anyone that can explain the meaning to only showjumping in a bit? i mean yea ok hes got control of the horses mouth but if that horse dropped his mouth and for some reason didn't want the rider on his back anymore what could the man of done to stop this personally i think that the man was a bit silly just using the bit even if the horse was 110% bombproof or the man knew his horse inside out and the thing that made me raise my eye brows at was that it was the first time that this percific horse had ben the HOYS! so i was horrififed when i found that out! bte if you don't know what HOYS is its the biggest english horse of the year show! so only the best go there. but thats no reason for that man to only ride with a bit??? some please explain!

ImaFlashyBit 02-22-2007 01:45 PM

Sounds like his horse was very well trained with leg cues. Have you ever seen Chris Cox do his reining and dressage with no bridle on his roan? There are so many cue and leg positons that with the right training and the right horseman, its amazing.

barnrat 02-22-2007 08:31 PM

Pat parelli also rides with no bit....he does not even start riding in a bit unitll he has ridden them past his level 2. Untill then he rides with a halter. After all his training he can jump and everything with no bit...its quite neat to see.

I will see if I can find a video of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JYhgfPBVac

At the show you were talking about the jumps would be a lot higher, I have seen a video of parelli jumping over a picnic table with no bit in the mouth.

Raini 02-22-2007 08:42 PM

^^ yup! I've ridden Raini bridleless a couple times. It's amazing. I don't nessecarily use leg cues...I have very light leg pressure. More seat cues. :D

kristy 02-22-2007 10:26 PM

Jumping doesn't require a bit. Bits are sometimes major crutches for people who haven't developed a thorough seat and leg.
Dressage ESPECIALLY, should be built on an independent seat with proper leg cues and lastly, reins to contain energy.