The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is My maiden mare about to foal?

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  momo3boys 
#1 ·
My Maiden mare is about 5 yrs old. She has been acting strange the past five days. She is pacing around her stall. She keeps lying down and then getting right back up. Her tail head and rear end have filled like jello for about two weeks now. Today when I checked on her, her vulva seemed to be a pinkish red, and very stretched. Her udders are not full at all though and I have been really worried. She seems very uncomfortable today, Pawing the ground, stomping, looking at her belly. I need someones opinion. Help.

#11 ·
Tess, although I will agree with your comment most of the time, there are times that mares will not bag up to any real degree until the foal is born.. But generally a would say you are correct. ALTHOUGH I had a mare that bagged AND waxed to just show me how good she was at false labor. She is a rescue that we believe had her system flip it's foaling switch as soon as it got here with some great eats.. she dried back up and we are now on a waiting game.

Guess bottom line is when it comes it comes.. great things to look for but no fool proof stuff..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.