The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

beginner riding lessons

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dashforcache 
#1 ·
alright, i'm not an instructor by any means but have been involved in horses in every way possible (showing, breeding, handling, pony club, 4h ect) for about 13 years and have a sister in law (12) who has only had one lesson and i have had on my horse briefly once and a younger friend (17) who has aspergers and has ridden a bit in the past but has terrible balance who i have been asked by the give some help on basics of riding and was just wondering if anyone had any ideas, excersises ect to do with them, i had my friend on the lunge line without reins today because she gets really unbalanced at the trot and starts fumbling with her hands on the reins and what not so i wanted to not have her in the horses mouth and she actually improved quite a bit once i did that.i am doing these "lessons" for free as well and both are doing english but my sister-in-law will probably want to do western once her legs get long enough to reach my stirrups lol.

#3 · (Edited)
yes, everything will be signed...also, the only reason i am doing them free is because a) i am not an instructor and b) i am doing it to help my friend out who doesn't have much money and c) my sister-in-law doesn't get out much and loves horses so it gives her something to get out and do for herself as well, they do not have much money either.

#4 ·
I've been watching lots of beginners lessons lately at a new ranch for fresh ideas on the basics and have actually learned games work great. The younger girls love to play red light green light and Simon says. Both of those games practice controlling the horse (go, stop, turn left, back etc) in a fun way. Also mini obstacle courses help with steering and horse control.

Teaching the trot is done on the lunge line. First let them sit it then describe the rythym of the post. They will not look coordinated the first few times but it will come. Then you can teach diagonals. Once theyve learned control at the walk and aren't too bouncy at the trot, they can trot on the rail on trot own and you can use it in games.

The rule this barn I'm working with has about learning to canter is that the student must correctly do a figure 8 at the trot. They must have big correctly shaped circles, change diagonals in the middle and seem in control and calm the whole time. Pass that test and they most likely have the balance and control to begin a canter on the lunge line.
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
I've been watching lots of beginners lessons lately at a new ranch for fresh ideas on the basics and have actually learned games work great. The younger girls love to play red light green light and Simon says. Both of those games practice controlling the horse (go, stop, turn left, back etc) in a fun way. Also mini obstacle courses help with steering and horse control.

Teaching the trot is done on the lunge line. First let them sit it then describe the rythym of the post. They will not look coordinated the first few times but it will come. Then you can teach diagonals. Once theyve learned control at the walk and aren't too bouncy at the trot, they can trot on the rail on trot own and you can use it in games.

The rule this barn I'm working with has about learning to canter is that the student must correctly do a figure 8 at the trot. They must have big correctly shaped circles, change diagonals in the middle and seem in control and calm the whole time. Pass that test and they most likely have the balance and control to begin a canter on the lunge line.
Posted via Mobile Device
thanks:D maybe i will have them both seperate lessons on lunge line for now till they are both better balanced and then i can do the games with them together..i like the test for cantering, the older girl basically skipped trotting and went straight to canter because she didn't like the way trotting felt (due to being unbalanced/ uncoordinated) but i told her no more cantering until we can get her walk/trot acceptable

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.