The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   My horse will not move forward (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-horse-will-not-move-forward-70659/)

Xhex428 11-15-2010 10:29 AM

My horse will not move forward

I have a 7yr old Spotted Saddle mare that will not move forward. It takes alot to get her to go anywhere faster than a walk. When we finally do she will only go a few strides and stop.
I checked her saddle it fits fine, her back isn't sore, she isn't sore anywhere on her body.
She doesn't only do this to me, she does it to everybody who rides her. I never had a horse with this problem before I usually have the ones that you can't get to slow down, so I just don't know what to do to get her moving.
Can anybody please help me?

apachiedragon 11-15-2010 10:39 AM

What kind of training has she had? It is possible she just doesn't understand what you want if she is very green.

Vidaloco 11-15-2010 10:46 AM

My husbands mare Sassafras (Fras for short) is very lazy. he carries a quirt with him and just twirls it as his "tell" cue and will pop her with it as his "insist" cue. You don't have to have anything fancy like his quirts, a piece of leather or rope works just as good. Sometimes just kissing or squeezing the legs isn't enough.
Look at your cues as the increase in pressure. Kiss to "ask", squeeze legs for "tell" and a pop on the butt to "insist". remove all pressure when the desired results are attained.
In other words, don't continue to twirl your quirt once the horse moves off.

Xhex428 11-15-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apachiedragon (Post 816797)
What kind of training has she had? It is possible she just doesn't understand what you want if she is very green.

I've been working with her. We don't know what kind of training she has had. I got her sight unseen. We do know that she once belonged to people who never had horses before and got her just because they wanted one. They let her push them around and get away with everything. If she would stop, they would get off. Which that doesn't help at all with retraining her. She is doing a bit better, but it just gets frustrating sometimes. :neutral::smile:

Xhex428 11-15-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco (Post 816800)
My husbands mare Sassafras (Fras for short) is very lazy. he carries a quirt with him and just twirls it as his "tell" cue and will pop her with it as his "insist" cue. You don't have to have anything fancy like his quirts, a piece of leather or rope works just as good. Sometimes just kissing or squeezing the legs isn't enough.
Look at your cues as the increase in pressure. Kiss to "ask", squeeze legs for "tell" and a pop on the butt to "insist". remove all pressure when the desired results are attained.
In other words, don't continue to twirl your quirt once the horse moves off.

I carry a crop with me when I ride. I ask her to move forward with a squeeze and a kiss or cluck a few times, if she still doesn't move I'll pop her on the butt. She'll then rocket off a few feet and I'll feel her starting to stop and I'll give a squeeze and a kiss again and she'll go a few more feet then she just hits the brakes and we ain't going anywhere. I love her to death but I would just love to be able to get to the point where we can make it more than half a lap around the arena before we stop.
But I will try using the quirt. Thanks for the advice! :-)

Snookeys 11-15-2010 02:55 PM

I say start on the ground, teach her to ground-drive and whatnot.

Xhex428 11-15-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snookeys (Post 817060)
I say start on the ground, teach her to ground-drive and whatnot.

I just dug out my book on easy gaited horses. It has alot of good info for starting from the ground. I hope it helps. :-)

churumbeque 11-15-2010 05:29 PM

How is she lunging? Have you tried spurs?

SorrelHorse 11-15-2010 06:23 PM

Alright.

My new reining mare, Selena, does this exactly the same.

Ask, Tell, DEMAND. Key to training lazy horses, assuming it's not a bigger problem.

Ask lightly, just a little bit of heels. No response, ask a little ahrder. DO NOT WARN HER MORE THAN ONCE. If she doesn't respond, make her think she is chicken little and the sky is falling. I mean kick, swat your leg, swat her butt, etc. Obviously don't abuse her but just keep adding pressure until she moves forward. When she does, instantly relax and put the "cruise" on. Eventually she elarns it's just better to go than get yarded on.

Xhex428 11-15-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churumbeque (Post 817263)
How is she lunging? Have you tried spurs?

She's lazy to longe. She just doesn't want to work. She will try to do everything she can to not go.
I do have spurs, but I have never tried them on her before. So far I have just used a crop to pop her on the neck or the bum.