The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   My horse has problems in canter. What do i do? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-horse-has-problems-canter-what-70666/)

xxxxxxdemiang 11-15-2010 11:04 AM

My horse has problems in canter. What do i do?

hi everyone,

I have a gelding and i am having some problems with his canter. He mainly disunities and as soon as you get of his back he looses his back legs. he is a very nice boy and he is only 8 years old. Oh yeah i am a show jumper, if that helps with anything. he normally disunites in corners and especially when i am riding him at faster speeds. If anyone has anymore questions please ask, because i have been riding him for more than 2 years and i would really like to find out how to get rid of his disuniting. Thank you.

MyBoyPuck 11-15-2010 08:22 PM

I just got back from a saddle fitting clinic. The number one reason for a disunited canter is a saddle that sits on the horse's back where there is no support. If you saddle sits behind the last rib, there's your answer. This is more common with western saddles since they are longer. Not sure which you have.

SaratogaTB 11-16-2010 06:32 AM

When you say "disunites" do you mean the same thing as to cross-fire, when their back lead is wrong and their front lead is correct? If that is what you mean, from what I have learned, it is a balancing issue. Agree to check on saddle fit, but absent that, its about balance.

xxxxxxdemiang 11-16-2010 10:58 AM

Thank you for helping me, i will try to see if the saddle is the problem and if not i will see whether it could be his balance. although recently we gave him an injection into his left hind leg and it seems to resolve part of the problem. He still disunites but not as much as before. So some people think something could be hurting him. Any suggestions.

Luvs2jump 11-16-2010 03:05 PM

How old is the horse and what was the injection for? If it's due to any type of pain like from arthritis then the pain is the problem and the end result then is your canter problem.

xxxxxxdemiang 11-16-2010 03:47 PM

The horse got the injection because we were worried whether he had pain in his joints or not. But he is only 8 years old so i cant be because of age. I think that maybe something is hurting him and so he disunities. I have been riding him for 2 years and since i got him he has been disuniting, but it was a lot worse in the beginning. Do anyone have any other ideas. Thanx.:-)

MyBoyPuck 11-16-2010 07:04 PM

Has anyone done flexion tests on his hind legs? That may show something concrete.

acp723 11-16-2010 07:15 PM

I almost bought a horse with this same problem. We did a flexion test and it turned out she had a problem with her suspensory ligament. I would check with the vet to make sure it's nothing serious!

xxxxxxdemiang 11-17-2010 12:44 PM

Thank you guys for your help i really appreciate it. I will see if i can get a flexion test done, hopefully i can. If anyone else has any questions please because any help could be helpful. Thanks.

SaratogaTB 11-17-2010 12:51 PM

Sorry, I still dont understand what you mean by "disuniting". Is that the same as cross-firing?