The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Is it a fair adoption fee? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/fair-adoption-fee-70681/)

Piaffe 11-15-2010 12:48 PM

Is it a fair adoption fee?

I decided to find my weanling filly a new home since her dam is likely pregnant again:-( I am not sure exactly how much to ask for a weanling. She is easy to catch most of the time, she leads well,picks up front hooves just by tapping them,working on hinds still:wink:isnt spooky,will walk on the road by cars,dogs,bicycles,etc. No problem. Would you say $400 is asking too much? Someone came and looked and said I shouldnt take less than $400, but I havent had a lot of interest. I want her price to be fair... I cant upload pics from the ipad,but she is the filly in the avatar :) opinions??? Thanks!

Speed Racer 11-15-2010 12:50 PM

She's a baby, knows very little, and we're going into winter. You'll be lucky to give her away, since babies like her are going for literally next to nothing at auction.

Yes, $400.00 is far too much for an unregistered, grade weanling.

Piaffe 11-15-2010 01:01 PM

Hmmmm.....mostly I was asking is because the lady that came and looked has raised/shown welsh/arab ponies for 25 years and said she should not be sold for less than $400 as is. Eh, I might just keep her until this summer once she has more training and is shedded out and pretty. She is getting her winter coat now hehe. She can be reg. APRA. Thanks for the uh, nicely worded opinion ;)

kitten_Val 11-15-2010 01:07 PM

Unfortunately if she's not registered and not fancy $400 is way too much for the baby (if you look at the prices in some rescues they ask about the same, may be little more for the riding horses). Plus we are coming into the winter meaning not too many people want one extra mouth to feed with expensive hay. If you want to get more for her may be wait till Spring and register her.

Alwaysbehind 11-15-2010 01:09 PM

If she can be registered then register her.

What does APRA stand for?

I agree that $400 is kind of steep for an unregistered weanling. If you have a person who says she should not sell for less than that you should cling to them and have them buy her.

CinderEve 11-15-2010 01:14 PM

I agree, get her registered that will increase her value.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 11-15-2010 01:14 PM

Get her registered, put some manners on her, and then you might be able to get the $400.00 you want for her.

She's a weanling. At best, it's going to be 3 years before she's useful for anything, and in the meantime is only going to cost money. Plus, with a baby, you can't really tell her potential for anything at this stage.

It's a big gamble asking someone to pay $400.00 for a baby, especially when they can go to auction and pick one up for $25.00.

I'm not being rude, I'm merely telling you the truth. There are a glut of bad, good, and in between horses on the market right now. If you want money for your little one, she has to have something the others don't. Registration papers would be a good start.

Piaffe 11-15-2010 01:17 PM

[QUOTE=Alwaysbehind;817020]If she can be registered then register her.

What does APRA stand for?

Arabian pony registration of america i think.just for any part arab ponies.

Hmmm...thanks for all the opinions. I also dont want to give her away/sell too cheap because she could be resold the next day at an auction or something. I think you all misunderstood me,though. I was NOT saying that I thought she was worth $400:wink: just what someone told me and I was a little surprised hence the asking so please keep replies polite:? Thanks again!

olliexmas 11-15-2010 01:28 PM

Is it possible to get her registered? It would get her price up much more! Im sure you dont want to sell her too cheap. (-:

iridehorses 11-15-2010 01:31 PM

To begin with, no one was being anything but polite so let's not get into that. Secondly, I attend 1 or 2 auctions per month, with last Saturday night being the latest. Weanlings, if they sold at all, brought anywhere from $10 to $45. One registered one brought $75 but she was AQHA and out of some nice cowhorse stock. Ponies that were ridden into the ring by little kids were bringing under $100.

Horses sell for what someone is actually willing to pay - not what someone just says they are worth. I know you need a starting point but, at least in my area, $400 would not even you a phone call registered or not.

Lastly, you are afraid of letting her go too cheap because someone else will make money on her?! I won't even go into that except to say that with that idea in your mind, you will never sell her.

On a side note, did I understand that her dam is pregnant again?