The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Grooming tools :) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/grooming-tools-70706/)

Horseychick94 11-15-2010 07:37 PM

Grooming tools :)

Hey everyone!!! I would like to expand my grooming kit and don't know what to choose. Please tell me what your favorite grooming tool is and why! :D:D

DaraT 11-15-2010 08:15 PM

I have a few favorites, but I do like a soft pliable rubber curry. It bends easily, it fits in my palm nicely and is not harsh. It conforms to my horse's body and can even be used on the lower leg. I use it on the face without worry to get those stubborn mud spots off. My grooming tote won't ever be without one.

Tymer 11-15-2010 08:31 PM

I don't have favorites...I love them all!

My grooming bag:
Round tooth rubber curry: For day-to-day dirt. Good for sensitive horses.
Pointy big-tooth curry: Good for stubborn dirt and bringing dead hair OUT. Gives a massage to horses, but sensitive horses don't like it.
Curry mitt: GREAT for faces, but doesn't do well on the body.
Stiff haired body brush: NOT PLASTIC! It works really well for whisking dirt away, but the plastic ones are only good for cleaning buckets and things.
Soft body brush: Good for faces, light dirt and a "sheen."
Round shedding blade: Unclips to become bigger. Great for shedding season and cleaning brushes (helps them do their job better.)
"Slick and Easy" grooming blocks: OMGMAGICBLOCKS. They're GREAT for getting stains off white horses and getting a really nice sheen on a clean horse. It gets EVERY BIT of dirt off the horse. (Very useful before barebacking.)
Braiding bands: For braiding....500 for a dollar from the drug store.
Human Paddle Brush: Perfect for manes and tails and doesn't pull hair out!
These: They're awesome at what they do and don't scare horses that don't like a normal electric shaver near their face.

Can you tell I like grooming? Well...I do. A lot. I have a problem. Heeee.

equiniphile 11-15-2010 08:55 PM

Shed flowers" Perfect for getting dirt cakes off the less sensitive parts and getting the undercoat out

Horseychick94 11-15-2010 10:47 PM

I love the long fingered curries!

Haley 11-16-2010 12:33 AM

I really like grooming stones.. but not the "slick and easy" blocks, those disintegrate waaaay too fast. This is the one I use: Horse grooming has new products ... Groomer's Stone

I also love my Furminator! I used to have the one that's "meant" for horses, but I got a large dog one that has the "button" to remove the fur so you don't have to, which is so much easier to use.

I also love my mini shop vac. Easiest way to get off dust and it's really, really good for their coat.

For bathing, the EZ all is the best thing ever!

Luvs2jump 11-16-2010 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaraT (Post 817475)
I have a few favorites, but I do like a soft pliable rubber curry. It bends easily, it fits in my palm nicely and is not harsh. It conforms to my horse's body and can even be used on the lower leg. I use it on the face without worry to get those stubborn mud spots off. My grooming tote won't ever be without one.

Me too. I have 2 bigger tooth rubber pliable curries but this one works the best for me especially getting the stubborn mud cakes off.
Don't know if it counts but one of my other favorite tools is Miracle Groom. Great for show day touch ups and great for giving a bath in the winter or when the temperature isn't the best for a water bath, just spray is on a body brush or mane/tail comb and brush out the dirt, dandruff, etc.

Cobble Hill Jumpers 11-16-2010 04:30 AM

orvus! and cowboy magic

Horseychick94 11-16-2010 11:30 AM

what is orvus?

Haley 11-16-2010 04:54 PM

Orvus is a shampoo.

Orvus Paste Shampoo in All Purpose at Schneider Saddlery