The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   On the bit - how would you describe the feeling? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/bit-how-would-you-describe-feeling-70710/)

Shasta1981 11-15-2010 07:10 PM

On the bit - how would you describe the feeling?

I've tried to explain to non-riders that truly having a horse on the bit is one of the best feelings in the world. When I explain what it feels like, they think I sound ridiculous. So I wanted to see what other riders feel when their horse is on the bit. To me, it feels like a recycling ball of energy right in front of my core that expands out to the palms of my hands. What does it feel like to you??

Chiilaa 11-15-2010 07:29 PM

When I am driving my fiancee's V8 ute. There is this one part of the road I drive down to get to the stable where I ride, where there is a tiny slope, about 5 degrees. As I accelerate up that hill, I get the same feeling as when riding on the bit. I think it is a combination of the lightness of going upwards, combined with the power from the V8 engine :)

MyBoyPuck 11-15-2010 07:50 PM

To me it's riding one big fluid unit rather than riding 4 legs, a body, a neck and head.

tinyliny 11-15-2010 09:31 PM

Puck,

Very well said!

MyBoyPuck 11-15-2010 09:48 PM

Thanks! I wasn't sure it made any sense!

AnitaAnne 11-15-2010 09:54 PM

To me contact is a two way communication...a we converse...i ask, he answers...he asks, I answer...

Think of a seeing-eye dog harness, there needs to be a physical connection between man & dog, that is why the leash is not hanging loose, the same with the rein, there must be enough feel on it to communicate. It is not meant to stop the horse or to restrain the horse...

tinyliny 11-15-2010 10:37 PM

AA, also a very nicely put post!

(here's a joke; How does the blind parachutist know when to pull the rip cord?

The leash goes slack!)

Kayty 11-15-2010 11:58 PM

A horse on the bit should have a light contact from the bit to the rider's hands, without ducking behind or leaning on the rein. It should be in front of the leg, you give an aid and the horse gives an immediate and positive response. Your seat feels like it is controlling all speed and direction, you should be able to hold your core for a stride and have the horse steady, shift your weight and have the horse turn.

ridergirl23 11-16-2010 12:01 AM

amazing. Haha like your part of the horse, like you and your horse could conqour anything in the world. Haha
Posted via Mobile Device

Jordan S 11-16-2010 01:07 AM

Everything just falls into place, can't describe the feeling. I'd say Puck got it right.