The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   For those who combine dressage and jumping... (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/those-who-combine-dressage-jumping-70753/)

kitten_Val 11-16-2010 08:13 AM

For those who combine dressage and jumping...

I'm just curious... How do you deal with the different stirrup length? It's definitely a pretty big difference in length and feeling of the leg/position whether you do dressage or jumping.

VelvetsAB 11-16-2010 09:44 AM

^^Good question!

~*~anebel~*~ 11-16-2010 09:50 AM

If your seat is good you should be able to ride with any stirrup length in any saddle (well.. almost any saddle).
When I'm jumping I warm up in two point to really get my heels down and attempt to bust my ankles further :P Haft spray (orange spray bottle) is my savior lol. It sticks you right in there. I don't jump often so I figure one handicap is OK.

dressagebelle 11-16-2010 01:04 PM

It is a bit weird the first few minutes of switching the length. Even for jumping I do ride in a slightly longer stirrup, still plenty short to really get me out of the saddle and off the horses back, but not as short as a lot of people put them. Just lots of stretching the first few minutes to get the leg to really stretch down through the heel, works for me.

MyBoyPuck 11-16-2010 06:57 PM

I tend to jump with a longer stirrup than most, so it's only 2 holes for me if I'm in my jumping saddle. Otherwise I use my dressage saddle on days I don't plan to jump so no adjustment is necessary.

upnover 11-16-2010 06:58 PM

What Anabel said!

Once you've started jumping around 2ft you should be jumping with your stirrups a hole shorter then you flat with. The higher you jump the more you'll need to shorten your stirrups (up to a certain point of course!). It's difficult to do proper flatwork with a short stirrup, it's difficult to jump well with a long stirrup. While it's not impossible, and you should be able to get by if needed, you're not setting yourself up for success. Although, while I do dressage exercises, I don't do them at quite the length of stirrup a true dressage rider would.

tinyliny 11-16-2010 08:11 PM

What is Haft Spray? Orange bottle. I have never heard of that before.

Strange 11-16-2010 09:40 PM

I don't really notice it, to be quite honest.
It's just something I'm used to, I suppose.

MIEventer 11-16-2010 10:33 PM

Yeah, I am quite used to it - just as Anabel said though, once you've established your seat and your core, you can ride competantly and functionally at any leather length.

I do my Dressage with a longer leather, a couple of holes lower than my jumping length, and when I am going to jump, I just shorten my leathers to accomodate that.

I'm just so used to it :)

upnover 11-17-2010 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 818745)
What is Haft Spray? Orange bottle. I have never heard of that before.

It's this sticky spray that you put on your legs or saddle that help you grip a little better! Comes in an orange spray can. It's pretty cool! i use it when I'm breaking in new boots or if I'm showing a particularly squirrely horse at a show. It also comes in this gooey pastey form in a little tin that you scoop out and smear with your fingers. It's messier though!