The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Under new dressage instructor... (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/under-new-dressage-instructor-70761/)

kitten_Val 11-16-2010 10:14 AM

Under new dressage instructor...

Just want to share the video (for the 1st time! I used to take pics only, but now I can use camcorder from time to time! :wink: ).

So far I've been working with the new trainer for 3 months (since end of Aug, my qh had 7 or 8 lessons, and my paint just 2). Here is snapshot of the last lesson this passed weekend.

I also will post pics month after I started with instructor, and just before I started (after almost one year of lessons with 3 different trainers :evil: ).

As always, suggestions, advices, and critique are highly appreciated. :)

kitten_Val 11-16-2010 10:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
These are pics from Sept (about month with the new lady).

kitten_Val 11-16-2010 10:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
These pics are from beginning of Aug, almost a year of lessons with 3 different trainers... Grrrr.....

AlexS 11-16-2010 01:35 PM

Wow what an improvement, glad that you have found someone who is really working with you!

kitten_Val 11-16-2010 04:16 PM

Thanks, Alex!

I mostly posted as reminder that every horse is capable for something. :wink: I was told so many times that she's useless that I was about to give up, and only with support on this forum decided to give it a try again with new trainer. :-)

MaryMary 11-16-2010 10:11 PM

Yay! What a difference in one month in your still shots!

kitten_Val 11-17-2010 08:34 AM

Thank you, Mary! :-)

MIEventer 11-17-2010 09:31 AM

Firstly, I am so proud of you for taking that innitiative and putting the power into your hands to learn, to grow and to aquire all that you can through lessons and working hard together, as a team.

What has your coach been working on with you?

kitten_Val 11-17-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIEventer (Post 819349)
Firstly, I am so proud of you for taking that innitiative and putting the power into your hands to learn, to grow and to aquire all that you can through lessons and working hard together, as a team.

What has your coach been working on with you?

Thank you, MIE! :D

The trainer was recommended to me by some local dressage folks and they said "she's not sugar-coated if you are OK with it". Heck, so far she was the most encouraging trainer I ever dealt with. And she likes horses I can tell that - I mean ALL horses, not just fancy-shmancy ones like couple other instructors I worked with. :wink:

Basically my horse was HORRIBLE on front and all stiff. So that was my biggest issue (IMO at that time), and I brought it up to her on 1st lesson. So... She basically started with the basis: rhythm & straightness (as we lacked both of them terribly), and my position. I found out that with all reading I did (and lessons I took) my understanding of half-halt was incorrect. So that's what she started to educate me on: correct half-halts. Then (after number of lessons when we reached some rhythm and straightness) asking for more roundness, correct transitions, etc. She's really good about explanations and showing what she means/talks about. That's a great help (like I had a trainer who yelled "sit tall" and never explained what it means.... :shock: ). The big challenge with Jemma (my qh) is that she's very long in body, so when I pick the front, the back (impulsion) is gone, so she needs constant encouragement to keep everything together. :lol: That's what we are working on at the moment.

And I have another horse I work with (my paint). I have to get video of her too. She's not as smart (unfortunately), but she's built better (very compact).

steedaunh32 11-18-2010 05:15 PM

So happy for you and encouraged by this! Thanks for reminding me it's possible :^) Keep up the great work!