The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (
-   -   distances (

jazzyrider 03-19-2008 01:06 AM

have i got this right:

average horse stride is 12ft
they need 6ft for landing and take off
so an average jump would have a distance of 24ft between them

6ft????? im not sure at all but im assuming it is half of the normal stride and do you take into account the take off and landing still making a bounce 18ft??

trot poles:

how far apart on average would you put poles? ive been using some lately but im having a hard time getting the right distance.

thanks in advance guys

upnover 03-19-2008 09:55 AM

They say the average stride is 12 feet.... but my opinion is the 'ideal' stride is 12 feet! I think 12 is a little long for the average horse to go at an easy pace. At our schooling shows they bring it down a bit to help out the school horses and older horses.

Yes, the average 1 stride would have 24 feet in between. A bounce would be 12 feet (6 feet landing, 6 feet take off, no stride in between)

Bounce- 12 feet
1 stride- 24 feet
2 stride- 36 feet
3 stride 48 feet

trot poles- ~4 feet
canter poles- ~ 9 feet

That's how I do it anyways!

My2Geldings 03-19-2008 12:50 PM

I am in the process of moving into my new house but have all the information in one of my handbooks. I will try to it and I'll come back on here to post it all. In the mean time I tried to look up info online but only came up with this, isnt very helpful sorry.

jazzyrider 03-19-2008 06:04 PM

^^^ thanks for that :)

upnover - thank you :) that was very helpful :D

upnover 03-19-2008 08:12 PM

glad i could help! :D

regardinghorses 03-20-2008 03:09 PM

I second upnover. Good explanation!

For trot poles, I usually measure out a little over 4 feet, using my feet heel to toe (I don't carry around a measuring tape!). That's usually a good place to start, and then you can adjust them shorter or longer as needed for your horse's stride.

If you want to use a trot pole in front of a jump, I believe it should be 9 feet from the base of the jump. Just in case you needed to know...