The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Help With Registration (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/help-registration-70780/)

HappyHorsey 11-16-2010 03:55 PM

Help With Registration

1 Attachment(s)
I need help! I just bought my first "registerable" horse. I do not know much about the process. I was only provided with an application, a sire and dam name, and the sire's registration #. The sire is a Friesian purebred. The dam is a paint. I was not provided with any pedigrees or copies of registration papers for the sire or dam. I bought the horse from someone who bought the horse from someone who bought it from the breeder...so in other words, I am the third person now who has bought this horse.

These are my questions:

Is there a way to look up the dam's registration # by her name or owner's name or something? I would need this to register her APHA.

Is there a way to get their lineage information from somewhere other than their owners? I need this for her Friesian registration.

Is my mare not registerable because I don't have the above information?

I am also trying to register her Pinto due to her coloring.

I have been trying to contact the people who bred this mare, but so far have had no luck. I guess in the end, it does not really matter that much to me since I am not a breeder and do not plan on showing in breed specific shows. I just thought it would be nice to have papers on this mare.

Thanks for any help!

Eastowest 11-16-2010 04:15 PM

Friesian is not an allowed cross for the American Paint Horse Associaiton, so you will not be able to register your filly with APHA.

If you post her APHA dam's registered name, there might be someone on the list who is an APHA member who could find the registration number and parentage in the APHA database-- if not, you can call APHA and ask a customer service rep. and they should be able to give you that info over the phone. (817) 834-APHA (2742) www.apha.com .

Friesian is not on the Pinto list of approved breeds either, but I would check with them directly as their rules have been changing recently. They do register on color for mares and geldings if pedigree is not verifiable, but they also have a rule against draft breeding, and I don't know where Friesian fits or doesn't fit with their rules. 405-491-0111 Welcome to the Pinto Horse Association of America Inc. .