The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is my mare pregnant!?!?!

15K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  smrobs 
#1 ·
Okay, when we first got my mare, Blossom, it was May 21, 2010. (5-21-10) and we noticed she was already big, but my dad said most Quarter horses are really big anyways. The man who sold us Blossom, said she could possibly be pregnant by a gray stud in the pasture by the man who sold it to the man who sold it to us lol.
Well the other day we were trying to ride this new saddle we got on Ebay and and tried to kick us for putting the lead rope around her neck. Since then she has been having these violent mood swings.
Thats when my mom said, "Holy cow! is she pregnant!?!" I guess I see her everyday and did't notice how big she has gotten!, what do you think?
The first 2 pictures were taken on 5-22-10, The next are today and yesterdays.

See less See more
#9 ·
Silly question because I really do not understand - when someone buys a mare and they are told it might be pregnant, why do they not immediately have a vet check it to determine if it is?

I honestly do not get this. The OP is not the only one. We get these posts all the time.

Note to everyone (OP included) if you have a mare that might have been exposed to a stallion have a vet look at them to determine if they are pregnant.

OP, your mare does look pregnant. Please call the vet and have the vet check her.

#10 · (Edited)
AB, I agree with you, although I am guilty of not doing it myself. When I got Freyja, I knew she had been pastured with the stallion since Finn's birth (2 months time). The owner was getting rid of Freyja because she had not bred, and they figured she was in too poor of shape to breed back. The owner never saw heat or "saw the stallion breed her", or show any real interest in Freyja. I also, was inclined to think there was no way poor Freyja could have taken in the condition she was in, so I never had her checked - my bad. I didn't find out she WAS in fact bred until many months later - too late, at that point, to flush. Had I known earlier, I would have had it done, because Freyja was in such poor shape she should not have carried another foal. Live and learn.

To the OP - get the vet out to check the mare out. Not only to confirm pregnancy, if she is, but you also want a vet to be seeing her through her pregnancy, so when time comes to deliver you have a vet already familiar with your horse and her health, in case there are problems with the delivery.

#13 ·
I have never heard the excuse of not boarding being a reason to not have a vet out.

Call the vet and make an appointment.

They do come to private barns too.

And if you were told when you purchased her that she might have been exposed to a stallion why did you not start saving then?

:think:

#14 ·
okay, no need to get smart with people, this is MY opinion, I dont need YOU to tell me what to do. and really this is NON of your business about vets anyways. We can't just jump up and call a vet with a $200 fee to pay you know. and i don't need you to tell me to call a vet.

#16 ·
Really? Then why are you ASKING about how to figure out if your mare is pregnant or not?

THE ONLY WAY TO KNOW FOR CERTAIN IF YOUR MARE IS PREGNANT IS TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A VET.

I can't believe all the people on here who have horses who think calling the vet for major things like pregnancy, mouth problems, back pain, and leg issues is out of the norm. Either you're too cheap, too poor, or don't really care about your horse's welfare.

If you can't afford to care for a horse properly, and that means calling a vet out when it's necessary, then you shouldn't have one.

Owning a horse isn't like owning a car. They're living, breathing, feeling, sentient beings who deserve proper medical, dental, foot, and feeding care.

#15 ·
:lol: I'm sorry but anytime you ask 'ís my mare pregnant?' you will be told to call a vet, no one can tell you for sure if she is or not, and if there is any doubt then she should be checked.

I really do understand money issues, BUT we have a responsibility to do our best for our horses. This is not an urgent thing, so call the vet and make arrangements for them to call in when they are already in the area, that cuts the cost, or put the mare in a trailer and haul her in, then it's even cheaper.

The cost of getting her checked is actually very cheap especially compared to the cost of losing her, or her foal or both if she is pregnant.

#17 ·
OK, this thread seems like it is starting to become one of 'those' types of threads. There are certain people that always have to jump into the convo as soon as it starts turning South, and make it worse, and then the OP defends themself, and it goes on and on...
The OP asked for opinions as to whether or not her mare looks prego. The answer was yes, but have a vet out anyway. OP says she is saving up money for the vet, so what is the big deal? There isn't a huge rush to get her checked, because if she is prego, it looks like she is too bug to flush her anyway, and she isn't having much trouble with pregnancy as it seems.

Blossom- my mare had mood swings too! One day she was so b*tchy, that when I was checking her teats, she turned on me and bit my back, and threw me! She automatically knew she had hurt me, and was sorry afterwards though. Just make sure you know when she is in a bad mood, to be EXTRA careful when you are around her, especially her belly and teats, because the can become tender and sore. That was why my mare bit me, because they were soo sore.

#18 ·
If you can't afford a vet find one who will take payments!!! Our vet has held car titles, payment plans, traded out for remodeling work, and any other number of things! Why do folks run to the doctor when they are preggers but think...hmmm "maybe" I'll have the vet out if my girl is knocked up...
Vet care for preggers mares isn't "OPTIONAL" It's just good for them. And good starts for the babies. If you didn't want a baby it's probably to late to abort it now without endangering her life as well. :(
I know breeders who have been doing this for years, like 30+ and still have the vet out for every single pregnancy!!! You never know what can go wrong.

#19 ·
Yeah, she is VERY moody like all the time! :) and you guys, I know you don't know for sure unless you call a vet, but again I will say, "I just want opinions!" gosh!, just about everyone needs to take a chill pill.

#25 ·
Blossom, you came on here asking for help. Since no one on earth can give you a diagnosis over the internet whether your mare is indeed preggo, if she's just fat, if she's ate up with worms, if she has a belly full of pus due to being turned out with a potentially scummy stallion, or if she might be suffering from a massive tumor in her gut or anything else along those lines, calling a vet is the most reasonable response you are going to get. There is no way for us to know, especially based on a few poor quality pictures posted over the internet. The only person getting snarky over this is you. Telling you the wise choice is to call a vet is not a offensive statement meant to upset you, it's simply the most logical answer to the question you posed. No reason for you to get nasty to those you asked for help from, however guilty your conscience may be.

#26 ·
I'm just guessing here but....

It's all on the positioning of this...

If you post some pics and say, here is my mare, do you think she looks pregnant? She's booked for the vet next week to find out for sure. Then you'll probably get lots of people joining in the 'is she isn't she' fun.

We all get worried if it sounds like people are relying on long distance guesses when it comes to their horses well being. My guess is yes she looks pregnant, my advice is get her checked as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.