The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   What would you do? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/what-would-you-do-70821/)

mysticdragon72 11-16-2010 10:19 PM

What would you do?

Ok, I have a dilemma! I guess I should give you guys a little background so y'all can give me some advice... my husband and I have recently purchased two horses as I've stated in other threads, and we've been looking for a place to live that allows horses as our current landlord changed his mind about us keeping horses here... when we first moved in here and for the last three years, we have told him that we eventually would be wanting horses and he had agreed that with a little extra rent we could keep horses on the land behind our house (he owns a total of 10 acres broken up into different parcels and we live on about 2 of those acres). When we asked him exactly where we could put the barn and fences he told us that he didn't want horses on the property because they "tear up the grass" and are just as destructive as cows!! Needless to say we were quite upset...

Anyways, after a couple months of looking at the very limited choices here we have been considering just boarding the horses as it would end up being about the same price to board as it would be if we were to find a place to live with our horses. So my question is this, would you move out of a property that is otherwise a great fit and away from a landlord that you get along with quite well, or would you stay at your current place and board your horses?

I've tried weighing the pros and cons of each possibility and I haven't expanded on the whole situation that much but you have the basic info... I'm not sure of which way I want to go though as I really didn't want to board and if we had of known our landlord wasn't going to allow us to have horses on our property we would have never even looked into buying any but.. we can't go back on the purchase contract now and so we have to make a decision... so I'm asking for y'all to give me some advice from an outside perspective.

churumbeque 11-16-2010 11:23 PM

I would at least board temperarily. Have you offered your landlord more money? Not just a little bit but enough to make it seem enticing.
Maybe he will change his mind later.

tinyliny 11-16-2010 11:57 PM

I wasn't quite sure I understood correctly; do you have a purchase contract with THIS landlord, the one that won't let you keep horses on the property? Are ou leasing his house to buy? or do you have some sort of contract elsewhere? please clarify.

If you are relatively new at horses I would recomment boarding them anyway.
There are many advantages to boarding. You will have them at a place where there may be a trainer on site to give you assistance; someone on site to catch a midnight colic, or at lease maybe an early morning one, other folks to ride with and other folks to share the joys of horses and to learn from (and teach, as we always have something to teach others, and learn from others)
SO, get the horses, board them enjoy them and keep your eye peeled for the better home. You landlord will be soooooooooo sorry he let you go. Buyers are not that easy to find these days.
Good luck, you two!

mysticdragon72 11-17-2010 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 818976)
I wasn't quite sure I understood correctly; do you have a purchase contract with THIS landlord, the one that won't let you keep horses on the property? Are ou leasing his house to buy? or do you have some sort of contract elsewhere? please clarify.

No, the contract is with the person we're buying the horses from. We are just renting this place but our landlord has been extremely kind to us over these past few years. Without his kindness we would have ended up with no place to live due to lack of a job for almost 8 months. Now that we are more financially stable and are all caught up on our past due rent from that time we started looking for horses to buy under the assumption that he was ok with us having horses. This assumption was based on many conversations we have had with the landlord over the years.

If you are relatively new at horses I would recomment boarding them anyway.
There are many advantages to boarding. You will have them at a place where there may be a trainer on site to give you assistance; someone on site to catch a midnight colic, or at lease maybe an early morning one, other folks to ride with and other folks to share the joys of horses and to learn from (and teach, as we always have something to teach others, and learn from others)
SO, get the horses, board them enjoy them and keep your eye peeled for the better home. You landlord will be soooooooooo sorry he let you go. Buyers are not that easy to find these days.
Good luck, you two!

My husband and I both have extensive experience with horses. Both of us grew up with them and I personally used to barrel race back when I was a teenager. We haven't owned any in about 7 years though. I worked with a vet for almost a year as his assistant as a precursor to me going to vet school... that never amounted to anything though. Anyways, I think we're leaning towards the boarding strictly due to the fact that I HATE moving... and I don't want to leave this place because I don't think we'd ever find a landlord that is like the one we have. As the other poster said though I'm hoping he might change his mind and eventually let us have horses here.

You're right about the learning/teaching thing too... there's ALWAYS something to be learned no matter how much experience someone has and it's always nice to have someone else around to bounce ideas off of when it comes to training.

Thanks for the replies and advice!

Hunter65 11-18-2010 07:00 PM

I have Hunter boarded at an awesome stable but if I had the option of having him at my house I would jump at it. When we take him up country to our property it is sooo much more fun having him there every day when I get up. I only get to see him 2 - 3 times a week when we are here.

mysticdragon72 11-18-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter65 (Post 820920)
I have Hunter boarded at an awesome stable but if I had the option of having him at my house I would jump at it. When we take him up country to our property it is sooo much more fun having him there every day when I get up. I only get to see him 2 - 3 times a week when we are here.

I would have the horses here with us if I could BUT would you move to another place just to be able to do that?

I think we're going to be boarding them temporarily, at least until spring. In the interim I am hoping that I can change my landlord's mind.. otherwise we will be moving.. and yes, just to be able to keep the horses on our property :D

Hunter65 11-18-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticdragon72 (Post 821212)
I would have the horses here with us if I could BUT would you move to another place just to be able to do that?

I think we're going to be boarding them temporarily, at least until spring. In the interim I am hoping that I can change my landlord's mind.. otherwise we will be moving.. and yes, just to be able to keep the horses on our property :D

Well good luck to you. If I didn't have Hunter in a place where I KNOW I don't have to worry about him I would move. I am very lucky where I am, brat that he is I know he is being looked after. My old barn I would go out and he would have no water or his leg was caught in his blanket and no one had checked on him. Again good luck. Just be sure they are in a good home. Nothing beats peace of mind that you lknow they are cared for.

mysticdragon72 11-18-2010 10:17 PM

Thanks! I hope that I can find a barn like you did that I can trust to look after my new babies.. We're going to visit one this weekend. From what I can get from talking to the BO on the phone she seems real laid back and the barn and it's residents sound like it'll be a good fit. But we're making sure the place is up to our standards first... plus we'll be able to talk to people too.

dressagebelle 11-18-2010 10:19 PM

I honestly think there are a lot of benefits either way. At a boarding place there is almost always someone on site, and when you go on vacation, you don't have to worry about paying someone to come out and feed. A lot of barns around here do clinics, they have the vet come out and do all the horses at once which cuts down on costs for the individual boarder, same with the farrier. There are people you can hook up with and go riding, talk to, hang out with ect. On the flip side though, having them at the house you can be so much more particular about what they are fed, exactly how much, how their stalls and/or pastures are cleaned. They are just a short walk away, if something goes wrong, you can generally catch it early, and you don't have to drive 10 or 15 miles down the road just to get to the horse. And the biggest one for me, is that you get to know your horse so much more intimately than you would with them at a boarding facility.
If I had the money, and the stability, I personally would move to have them at my house. I would probably board for a bit as I looked around, partially so that I could meet the horse people in the area, but ultimately I'd want them at home. For me, I would feel better knowing that I know my horses extremely well, and if something happened like colic, I would be able to tell so much sooner that the horse was even a tiny bit off, than the BO at a boarding facility would, and just those few minutes can sometimes mean the difference between being able to treat the problem, and having to put the horse down. Hopefully you can find the perfect place with an awesome landlord if this one doesn't change his mind.

mysticdragon72 11-18-2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dressagebelle (Post 821247)
I honestly think there are a lot of benefits either way. At a boarding place there is almost always someone on site, and when you go on vacation, you don't have to worry about paying someone to come out and feed. A lot of barns around here do clinics, they have the vet come out and do all the horses at once which cuts down on costs for the individual boarder, same with the farrier. There are people you can hook up with and go riding, talk to, hang out with ect. On the flip side though, having them at the house you can be so much more particular about what they are fed, exactly how much, how their stalls and/or pastures are cleaned. They are just a short walk away, if something goes wrong, you can generally catch it early, and you don't have to drive 10 or 15 miles down the road just to get to the horse. And the biggest one for me, is that you get to know your horse so much more intimately than you would with them at a boarding facility.
If I had the money, and the stability, I personally would move to have them at my house. I would probably board for a bit as I looked around, partially so that I could meet the horse people in the area, but ultimately I'd want them at home. For me, I would feel better knowing that I know my horses extremely well, and if something happened like colic, I would be able to tell so much sooner that the horse was even a tiny bit off, than the BO at a boarding facility would, and just those few minutes can sometimes mean the difference between being able to treat the problem, and having to put the horse down. Hopefully you can find the perfect place with an awesome landlord if this one doesn't change his mind.

Sounds like you were reading my mind!! Those are pretty much the reasons that I am having a hard time deciding... but, I think we've finally made up our minds about what we're doing. We actually have found a place to rent, which I had posted about in a different forum about how to plant a new pasture... but the place is no where near ready to move in as the owner is in the middle of renovating the place... and the barn isn't ready for horses either. So that's why we're boarding them until the place is ready to move into for both us and the horses.

This all could have been avoided if our current landlord had of just told us that he didn't want horses from the beginning! We wouldn't have bought them yet.

I want to say thanks to everyone who replied for your advice as it's always great to get an outside opinion on these matters.