The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Riding Tips for a beginner (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/riding-tips-beginner-70846/)

PonyAngel 11-17-2010 01:05 AM

Riding Tips for a beginner

Hi!
I've only ridden about 5 times in my life. I'm about to start riding though, on my dad's friends horse. It will be with a western saddle.
I need tips- how to overcome my fear of getting on, how to be safe, stuff of that nature
Thanks! :)

PintoTess 11-17-2010 01:25 AM

There is only one way to get over that fear. Just get on!!!! it will all come together once in the saddle and you wont feel nervy :D light conatct, heels down, hands not to high, not to low, thumbs on top, back straight, head up, bent elbows and most of all...have fun and be safe :D

AlexS 11-17-2010 01:36 AM

Can you ride in a large round pen, or with someone lunging you? It can be confidence building to know that you cannot go too far too out of control should something go wrong. Especially on a lunge line, as someone else is controlling the horse.

Also, how experienced and trust worthy is the horse that you are riding?

Good for you for facing your fear and giving it a try.

PonyAngel 11-17-2010 01:46 AM

thanks yall
the horse will be very calm, these people take them out on public trails in awful terrain and have never been thrown once. They have fallen for losing balance, but never been thrown. They always lunge before letting anyone ride, to get some energy out of the horse. I will probably be pretty comfortable- plus the horse wont be too tall. THanks! Keep the tips coming. :)

PonyAngel 11-17-2010 09:55 PM

also- do you all think it would be a good idea for me to lunge the horse before i ride to get some of his energy out and to establish a sense of control? I would probably feel more comfortable if i did that, what do u all think?

Puddintat 11-17-2010 10:09 PM

My trainer recommends that I always lunge Dancer before riding. Not only does this give him a chance to get out some energy but it also helps him to listen to me better.

PonyAngel 11-17-2010 10:12 PM

Thats what ill do, given its ok with the owners, they usually do that anyway. I would feelso muh comfortable letting him get out his extra energy before i get on especially since im a beginner

Puddintat 11-18-2010 09:47 AM

Also, when I'm lunging Dancer we work on some voice commands like trot and whoa. I also get him to back up every time I whoa him. I also do some groundwork with him like having him follow with me just at my shoulder. We've gotten so that he hangs his head really low when we walk and he'll stop when I do and back up when I do. If you have control on the ground you'll have better control on the saddle.

Alwaysbehind 11-18-2010 10:35 AM

Are you going to be riding while the owner of the horse is around?

I would guess your best bet is to ask the owner what works best for their specific horse.

I would probably get upset if you tried lunging my old man before riding him. His legs do not need the little circles and he is very much a baby sitter with out the need for running in tiny circles first.

Gidget 11-18-2010 01:18 PM

first off..where a helment if you have one..if you don't maybe where a bike helment...atleast it's protecting you in some way in case you have a fall.Also you need boots so your leg won't get caught in the stirrup.

Make sure you ride with you your arms bent and feel some contact on the bit but don't be yanking at his mouth. Try to be light with your hands and have your thumbs on top of the reins...hold your hands like you are carrying a glass of water..the best way I can describe it..maybe someone else can describe it better than me.

I would start off with just walking and getting the feel of the horse. That is what I did but me being me I wanted to trot,canter,gallop..you name it...but it's best to be at a nice and steady pace.

ask the owner how he rides..every horse is different and you don't want to ruin the horse.