The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Question:How do you stop a horse from tripping over itself? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/question-how-do-you-stop-horse-70859/)

Caitlinpalomino 11-17-2010 02:40 AM

Question:How do you stop a horse from tripping over itself?

I have a horse that always trips over himself and it is very annoying when i ride him what can i do to stop it?:?

PintoTess 11-17-2010 06:00 AM

hmmm sounds like he is being lazy with his feet. How long ago did he have his hooves done? are they long? does he overreach? is he lame?
also the ground may just be uneven a bit.
if not he may just be being a little lazy. wake him up and ride him into the contact, make him work for it. also try some trotting poles, and lengthen and shorten his stride, keep him thinking :d
hope i helped a little.

mbender 11-17-2010 06:47 AM

My mare does this every now and then. Gets annoying and then I start thinking the worst (neurological). But it isn't, I'm thinking lazy too. She's fine at the trot and canter so I know she is fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

RedTree 11-17-2010 06:50 AM

Buzz does this as well, he is very very lazy at the walk so I put it down to that haha doesn't happen at any other pace

VelvetsAB 11-17-2010 07:14 AM

Horses sometimes will trip because their toes are too long (not saying you dont do his feet, but maybe the farrier is leaving too much toe), laziness, or it is possible that some are just a little bit clumsy. Some horses will also stumble if they arent moving out and only just plodding along.

Alwaysbehind 11-17-2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caitlinpalomino (Post 819165)
I have a horse that always trips over himself and it is very annoying when i ride him what can i do to stop it?:?

To even start to answer we need to know what you mean by always. Does always mean every now and again but not really that often or does always mean many many times each ride?

The former is most likely the horse being lazy, maybe out of shape and maybe in need of a proper hoof trimming, but really just life. Heck, I trip sometimes too.

A horse tripping literally all the time means you have an issue some where. Does your horse show any other neurological type symptoms?

kitten_Val 11-17-2010 11:54 AM

As everyone else said, rule out the trim (you can post pics even at the forum asking for opinion), then health issues. Some horses indeed lazy and trip/drag their feet, but still they don't trip all the time.

EmilyandNikki 11-17-2010 03:46 PM

Also, I've rode a few pony's, who if they become heavy on the forehand, start tripping. So if his feet are fine, when he starts tripping get him to engage his hindquarters more.

PaintHorseMares 11-17-2010 04:43 PM

I've seen a lot of horses get lazy about picking up their feet when just walking. If I'm working one of them, it seems to help if I spend some training time walking over 4x4s laying on the ground.

Tymer 11-17-2010 05:50 PM

I know a horse that is really clumsy and has to be held up by being driven forward with leg into with supporting reins. Horses, like humans, can just be plain clumsy!